Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will High Density RAM work with my system?

• Please log in to reply

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I bought a gig of high density SDRAM, PC3200, DDR-400, etc.

My motherboard is an Albatron K8X800 Pro II

The memory currently running on it is standard DDR-400 PC 3200

the processor is an Athlon 64 2800+
(no dual cores or anything.)

Question 1: will the RAM work on my system?
Question 1b: will the RAM work at its optimum on my system?
Question 2: Is there any chance that adding this RAM will totally mess up my system or damage the regular RAM in any way?
Question 3: If it wont work on my system, what are the reqs for using such RAM?
Question 4: What's the difference between high density and regular RAM?

Question 5: do I really need to get a $12 antistatic bracelet to install a $50 memory module?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Howlleo

If by high density, you mean double density (double sided) ram, then probably the only way to find out for certain if your board supports it, is to try it. Providing you follow the proper procedure & insert the module correctly, then you won't do any damage to the board or the module if the ram isn't supported.
What you may find, if the new module isn't supported, is that the computer only recognises the new module as a 512MB stick instead of 1GB.

You can get away without purchasing an anti-static wristband provided you discharge your static by touching a metal surface first. Also make sure of course that you not only disconnect the main power lead but also the main ATX power cable that connects the PSU to the motherboard. When you insert the new module, make sure that the plastic clips on either end of the ram slot are fully open, check that the module is the right way round, then insert it by pushing down evenly on both ends of the module. You will need to push fairly firmly but never force it in. When inserted, both the plastic clips should spring up in to place by themselves.

howlleo

howlleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
:tazz:
YOu're awesome. I've posted this question in several tech forums, but your the first one to give me an adequate and understandable reply.

And you didn't even sound condescending!

Thanks tons.