Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows firewall turned off, cant get it on

• Please log in to reply

bgdkmetzger2003

bgdkmetzger2003

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
My alerts in my tray say that my windows firewall is turned off. I just uninstalled norton antivirus and installed avg free edition. am ok or do i need to fix the firewall????

appreciate the help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to disable AVG or Norton from running at start up, check the options for either. You should not have two resident / installed Anti Virus programmes running together because they can cancel each other out

If you want to double check for viruses then you can use online scans, which will run in tandem with the installed AV programme, and will run in the background, there are a number of them, though this this is an impressive one

http://us.trendmicro...call/v6.5/?us=2

As for the firewall, click more info for all these and then choose the most suitable one for you, again, you should only have one running

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

Zone Alarm is a popular choice

With XP you can also run programmes 1, 5, 7 and 8 from this list

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

bgdkmetzger2003

bgdkmetzger2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for the info. what if i just want to use the windows firewall??? is that good enough??? Doesnt avg have a firewall? Are those other firewalls free?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows firewall blocks incoming data only, most third party firewalls block incoming and outgoing data, Zone Alarm does, AVG does not have a firewalls, those firewall are free

bgdkmetzger2003

bgdkmetzger2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Here's something scary. Everytime I try to download a firewall I get disconnected and then reset. I think something is stopping me from getting a firewall. I also get an message that says there is a conflict with another user on the same IP address. I am not on a secure connection and I dont know how to make my connection secure. Please Help!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum