Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalled Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

pekebo0o

pekebo0o

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Er... How do I start? Okay, well, I was trying to fix this problem with McAfee that I had. The icon was never red and the virus scan was always disabled. I read around on the McAfee forum and someone said they uninstalled their service pack 2 or something. So I tried it, and now my computer turns on and stuff, but it's very slow. I was wondering if it was possible to get the service pack 2 back, because I don't want to start my whole system over and lose all my work... I don't know where to go to get the service pack 2 since the internet on that computer isn't working at all. Any help or suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks for reading this.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The option to use add / remove to uninstall SP2 should be made illegal (IMO)

Whereas the uninstaller lists the programmes which might not work properly when SP2 is removed, it would be much quicker to list the programmes which will

Running XP repair is a preferable way to remove SP2 because it allows the system to run properly

As you have already removed SP2, you should run XP repair then re-install the updatres, including SP2

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

pekebo0o

pekebo0o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks very much for your help!

Happy Holidays! :tazz: