Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing a used hard drive

• Please log in to reply

kimg

kimg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have 2 dell dimension computers and one optiplex. They are all P4's but one is about 4 years old and I would like to give it to my mother to use. It has a 200Gig hard drive which I would like to swap with a 40 from one of the other computers. When I do that and plug everything in and boot it up it says there is no hard drive detected. So I would think there is something wrong with the computer but the 200Gig works. I'm stumpped. Both hard drives already have XP loaded on them so I thought it would be easy swap, I wouldn't have to re-install everything. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Kim

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Kim
Is your cmos set for autodetect of the hard drives or does it have a drive number in there.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Make sure that the drive is jumpered correctly. For example, if the 40Gb disk is set to be cable select and you place it on the cable such that it is a slave, then it will not be seen. This is why I personally like to not use cable select and instead use master or slave, as needed.