Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! XP stutter after hardware upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Joshua8181

Joshua8181

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey everyone new to the forums here but, it looks like alot of people are getting similar issues

I'll try to keep it short

I have a presario 5320 US P4 1.5G

in the past month I've added

GeForce fx 5500 128mb (was mx440 64mb)

512 ram(doubled)

SB audigy 2 card (was intergrated soundmax 3.0, don't know anyother specs. on card)

logitech 610 wireless laser mouse

maxtor 100G 7200rpm 8MB cache (added to 40G)

in that order

in my hurry to install the hardware I didn't uninstall any drivers, just installed off the disk and then patched

I noticed a temporary stutter after putting in the ram, namely playing morrowind (i know took me a while to pick it up)

everything is fine, and then it just locks, followed by 10-15s of 1 fps, then everything is fine for a minute if that

sound stutters, too. hence I bought the soundcard, things are worse, and splinter cell came with the sound card, same problem, sound breaks up and fps drops to 1 for 10-15s

it seems that eveything else is fine, just any game is freaking out

So

(1)is there a conflic with the ram, one new 512 with two original 256

(2) did I mess up not getting rid of the old drivers first?
I've since uninstalled (used driver cleaner) the nvidia and reinstalled the most current, no help ingame

(3)Do I have a soundcard conflict now, because of old drivers

(4)does anyone have a magick wand I could borrow?

no XP disk came with my computer so I don't know if i can reformat

Any ideas would be great, also info on the program to print out all the system specs

I don't see any conflicts anywhere and dxdiag all tested out

?

joshua

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you put the 512 in slot one then the 256 in slot two and slot 3

Joshua8181

Joshua8181

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey thanks for the reply

I'm assuming the the 256's were in 1 & 2 to start with, in that case yes the 512 is in number 1

digging deeper on the subject i noticed that my PSU is only rated at 250w MAX, and calls for a replacement 235w PSU

the nvidia geforce fx 5500 128mb calls for a 250w PSU!, so today I bought a logisys part #PS480D-BK, 480w dual fan PSU

of course i got a faulty unit, hooked it up 3 times without so much as a twitch in the fan, my old unit works everytime, i will exchange it tomorrow and see if that works

my quest at the moment is clearing out any old sound drivers, ect

started to feel there is a conflict, even though nothing shows up

I suppose all of this is my own fault for not taking the right steps to prepare for upgrades

I'm up to date with ad-aware se, spybot, cwshredder, crapcleaner and I used driver cleaner on the nvidia

which leaves virus, every virus program I've tried has caused me more headaches than a virus has,
at least to my knowledge but, i'm going to the malware page right now to check out what is listed

Thanks but, maybe this just needs a finetooth comb on my end

joshua

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this to check for obsolete software

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC)After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor