Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ongoing MSN messenger issue

• Please log in to reply

Bunnei

Bunnei

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Very many months ago, I began having a problem with my computer. It went a little something like this:

One night, my computer gets shut down incorrectly because of a power surge.
When I turned my computer back on the next morning, it started up weird.
Then I found that many of my programs (ie. msn messenger, aol messenger etc.) were missing files.
At the time, I was running msn messenger 7.0
I went to re-install msn messenger, and got the newer 7.5 version.
Things went down hill from there.
I couldn't sign into msn messenger because it said I had a fire wall up.
I went through to every possible thing that could be blocking access, and turned it off.
I still couldn't sign in.
I then could not sign into Yahoo Mail or Hotmail through my browser.
I also couldn't sign into web messenger, or windows messenger.
I've tried to go back and install version 7.0, but it just won't install!
Also, on my add and remove programs list, I try to untistall 7.0 and it won't work!
I've run out of options, and my system restore points don't work!
Help! :tazz:

Edited by Bunnei, 21 December 2005 - 02:44 AM.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Hi and welcome to Geekstogo,

can you be a bit more specific? When you try to install/uninstall MSN messenger, what error pops up? Also what error do you encounter when you try to login to your Yahoo and Hotmail?

What browser are you using and have you done a virus/spyware scan in a while?

Bunnei

Bunnei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to uninstall it says something along the lines of "this patch package could not be opened. check to see that it exists, or contact the vendor to check that this is a vaild Windows Installer patch package."

When I try to log into my Yahoo Mail and Hot mail: Internet explorer- it sends me to a "The page cannot be displayed" page that has a bunch of links on it.
Firefox- A box pops up saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact..."

My main browser is Firefox, and I've done countless scans.

When I try to sign into MSN messenger, I get an error stating I have a firewall blocking my connection.

It's extremly frustrating, because all the firewalls I am aware of on my computer, I've turned off.

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
:tazz: Unfortunitely, (especially with older computers) this sounds more of a hardware problem.

Get a professional to examine your computer. A power surge destroyed a computer I was working with once, by melting out a processor. Please check the system, then be more specific with the software problem if that goes well.

Thanks and sorry! -Steve V.