Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok i have my new computer built and running with two seagate HD's, both have windows xp pro on them but i only store everything the C drive..I think im gonna sell the computer and only leave E drive in there and keep C for myself...if i was to build another system and stuck in this one with all my data and windows xp would it function correctly?

:tazz:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi, If you used HardDrive 1 (C:\) as your main drive (Used to open windows) then there should be no problem, but if you have programs loaded on harddrive 2 (E:\) then they will not work on the HD1.

I am sure this has helped a little to help you with your question.

Merry christmas, God Bless. :tazz:

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
lol i accidently put windows on both of them...

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

lol i accidently put windows on both of them...

Lol, unlucky but wich one did you use for the main drive, your C: or E: (Which harddrive do you boot from???)

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok C is my main drive i boot from that and i have all my data on that.... all the E drive has is windows on it...im thinking of selling the only E drive in it and keeping C to put in my new computer..

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ye, theres no problem then, you can put your Harddrive in your new computer and it will work, the other harddrive will also work when you sell it, you just have to make HH2 you 1st boot priority.

:tazz:

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
alright thnx for the help man :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The c drive will not work in yout new computer if you plan to you it as the boot drive it will only work as a data drive. to get it to boot from that drive you would have to reinstall windows on it as otherwiseit wont have the correct drivers for the new computer and wont boot.

So whatever drive is in the new PC if you get one it needs to be the first boot, the other drive you should wipe using dban if you are going to sell the computer.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

The c drive will not work in yout new computer if you plan to you it as the boot drive it will only work as a data drive. to get it to boot from that drive you would have to reinstall windows on it as otherwiseit wont have the correct drivers for the new computer and wont boot.

So whatever drive is in the new PC if you get one it needs to be the first boot, the other drive you should wipe using dban if you are going to sell the computer.

Hi, but i remember, my dad had a problem with his computer and he couldnt access his harddrive, so I took my HD and put it into his computer and set it as main boot,and it booted windows fine. The only thing i guess that will have to be reinstalled is sound drivers, graphic drives, ect. (Drivers). But windows should start up, if i am incorrect by saying this, I appologise. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sometimes it works if the computers have motherboards and cpus of the same brand and type, 9 times out of 10 it doesnt work doing a straight switch, its a common problem we see it alot on the site.

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
so all my data will be lost? or how do i do this can u explain a little more...do i just put in the windows cs at boot and just reinstall it?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you do a full reinstall then you have to reformat the drive and unless you have a serperate partition for data you lose everything on it, if you have another drive the best thing to do was to move everything you want to keep onto it or burn it onto a DVD or a CD then reinstall windows.

You use the windows installation disk to install windows, but if you sell the machine with windows you cant use the same activation code and liscense you need to buy another, and if you use a pirated windows and sell it MS will be all over you if they find out which they probably will).

So just wipe the drive you are going to give with the PC using dban(google it) and dont sell it with an OS.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you put a drive with an os in a computer with completely different hardware...then windows will have problems...but all you need to do is preform a windows repair

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

vitaliy101

vitaliy101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I already erased my windows xp from the E drive and i was just gonna ask u if i could just use repair...so i think i will just do it that way

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've already formatted...then just do a regular install