Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sounds...

• Please log in to reply

MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll start from the begining...

A couple of weeks ago, i recieved and invitation from a RL friend to join her webcam/audio chat via Trillian. The video chat worked fine, but when she began sending audio a loud, screaching noise came from my speakers.

I shut Trillian down, but the noise remained, so I restarted my computer.

upon the computer restarting, i found that it would not play sounds from trillian, media player, DVD's or any other application I could find. frustrated, i gave up.

bored today I opened Yahoo Messenger (the actual program, not trillian), and like usual, the sounds weren't working. For some god forsaken reason, i decided to enter a yahoo chat room (using the yahoo messenger program) and I was greated with some fool yacking about this or that in the chat room.

This was exciting news! my sound card was working! Then DING! an IM. I quickly opened up media player, and played a MP3, it too working perfectly. The sounds in every app i could think of were working, as intended.

Out of curiosity, I closed the magical yahoo chat room, and, to my dissapointment, all sounds immediatly ceased. So I opened up another chat room, and Ta-DA! sounds are back like they never stopped.

Now, i have no desire to have a yahoo chat room going, everytime i want to hear a sound on my computer. Does anyone have any idea What the... is going on here? I'd really like to get this straightened out.

I have a compaq laptop with the dreaded SoundMax audio device

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,

ADam

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my plan was to uninstall the sound drivers, then reinstall them fresh...

so i uninstalled them, and restarted... FIXED! without reinstalling them. i'm not really sure how this worked? were there multiple drivers installed for it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehehe...it's possible...or maybe the windows drivers had attempted to supercede the product drivers...or vice versa