Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

controller card replacement

• Please log in to reply

nomore

nomore

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Currently I have a promise ultra 100 pci controller card driving a 40GB hard drive and 160 GB which works fine except that it doesn’t recognize the full capacity of the 160GB drive. The promise controller will only recognize 137 GB of that drive so I thought I would just upgrade the controller card with the SIIG ultra ATA 133 pci adapter as it supports drives larger than 137 GB. I have installed the 160GB as a slave drive for storage. I run windows XP-pro with service pack 2.
I have tried two different ways to install this card but either way it doesn’t boot to windows and is asking for the windows XP startup disk. I am sure it is doing this because it is looking for the drivers for the SIIG card. The first time I removed the promise 100 card and replaced it with the SIIG card with both drives connected to the card. The proper jumpers were set on the drives for master and slave configurations. When I did it this way and booted the computer it saw the new card and bios in the startup screen but did not boot to windows and then asked for a startup disk. The second time I reinstalled the promise controller card with both drives (boot-able and secondary) hooked up to the promise controller card and I also installed the SIIG ultraATA 133 into an open PCI slot but did not attach the drives to it and restarted the computer. The Bios is found for the promise controller and also for the SIIG controller. It continued to boot and then asked again for a boot-able XP disk which I do have but I don't want to reinstall windows XP all over again. All I want to do is install the driver for the SIIG controller so it will recognize it when I hook
up the drives to the new SIIG controller card. I am doing something wrong could you please help me with this installation.
Thanks for your time

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I suspect it is looking for the windows install cd so it can find the driver. You should comply with the instruction. Windows should not install all over again. You should get numerous prompts before that could happen, and shouldn't happen unless you say "yes". The new controller card should be plug and play. If you get it installed correctly, with the hds and jumpers set correctly it should work, once windows gets the drivers it needs.

nomore

nomore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Austin O

Thanks for your quick response. Would windows have a driver for the siig controller card on its disk? The software that came with the card does it not contain the drivers for this card?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would expect windows to have the driver you need. Since the manufacturer ships without a special driver, that tends to confirm.