Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

MEDINA

MEDINA

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Really unfamiliar with external harddrive. Can I back up my entire hard drive onto an external hard drive. Of course the external hard drive has more capacity than the hard drive I am backing up. Specifically will it back up the programs and the data?

If I back up today and hen work on the orginal computer and enter more data can I back up again on the external harddive? Will it overwrite or create a different folder for the different date?

Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. How you choose to back up to an eternal hd is entirely dependent on your choices, and the capibilities of what ever software you use to do the backup. Norton Ghost makes a complete image of the hard drive. For backup, don't know why you would want to backup your programs since you can always re-install them. I would expect the best approach would be to back up the data files only. Like I said, that is up to you.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Like Austin said, you don't want to backup applications or the operating system. You just want to backup data files. I'm assuming you aren't using Ghost to do an 'image' backup.

A real easy way to backup data files is to copy and paste. Right click on the start button and select 'explore'. You'll see a tree with all of your folders. Your external drive will show up also.

Let's say that you save a lot of files in 'My Documents' folder. Just right click on the folder and select copy. Then scroll down to the external drive and right click on the right pane and select paste. You've backed up that folder and it's contents.

There's more to it than that but that's a start. Once your data files are backed up we can discuss backing up favorites or bookmarks depending on your browser. If your using Outlook Express we can point you to some documentation on the Internet for that.

Some people like programs that do it for them but I like copy and paste......