Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive crashed and reinstalled as slave--I need help to retreive &

• Please log in to reply

Brainfart

Brainfart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a hard drive that went out and replaced it. The first hard drive is now set as a slave. I got most of the programs I need off of it, but I cannot get "My Documents" to open. It says the file "is not accessible. Access is denied." Any ideas? On the first hard drive I had XP on this new one I installed XP Pro. Also, Bios will not detect the old hard drive (before crash as Master or after crash as Slave). However, I can move most files from the old drive, but not run programs.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Open explorer, choose TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW
uncheck USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING

Now right click on the folder (MY DOCUMENTS), and choose SHARING AND SECURITY, then go to the SECURITY tab, then ADVANCED button, then go to OWNERSHIP. Select your current username, then check the REPLACE OWNERS ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS, then hit OK....wait a few seconds as the owner flags are changed

Brainfart

Brainfart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! I don't know how you know how to do that, but I am glad you do! I have never even seen most of those screens, and I fix most of my problems myself. Anyway, as Anna Nicole Smith said, " You are freegin' genious!" Thanks again!