Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rotate A Video File From Horizontal To Vertical . . .

• Please log in to reply

brsturzljr2

brsturzljr2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there!

I'm interested in the above-referenced. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks! in advance for your assistance.

Bruce :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://www.virtualdub.org

Has a filter available to rotate a video by 90, 180 or 270 degrees in either direction.

brsturzljr2

brsturzljr2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks! for your information Neil. I sure appreciate it.

I already downloaded VirtualDub and gave it a "look-see", but I didn't notice the filter you describe. I'm not even sure I'd know what to do with it even if I'd have noticed it. I will go back and review the program.

I'm not very proficient with this kind of thing and think that video editing is more complex than I've the skill for . . . I can't even get my Iomega HotBurn Pro program to generate a mixed CD!!

Thank you! once again . . .

Cheers! -- Bruce

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Open the video file in question into VirtualDub.

Then go into the Video Menu -> Filters. In there is the rotate filter.

brsturzljr2

brsturzljr2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey again!

I did manage to get myself that far all by my lonesome. Then I know to Insert the rotation filter, but after that I don't see any results. What to do at that point is a mystery . . .

At any rate, I wanted to express my gratitude to you for your time and effort spent on my behalf. It's just incredible to me that I can send my inquiries out into CyberSpace and someone with a technical talent and good spirit takes the moment to help me!

All the Very BEST! -- Bruce :tazz:

brsturzljr2

brsturzljr2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Back again . . .

Well, finally figured out how to use the filter to rotate my MPG files from horizontal to vertical. Thanks! so much Neil!!

Now I want to take a small JPG file and enlarge it . . . I can do this by zooming in on the image, but then distortion sets in and makes everything blurry. Is there a program that will do this resizing of the file AND still retain a clear picture?

They use these kinds of programs on television in police and crime scene stories. They zoom in on a part of a picture and then enlarge it. The image is blurry, but then with the click of a button or so, the image clears and is as sharp as it was before, but the small part they zoomed in on is as large as their computer monitor.

Am I hoping for too much OR if such a program exists is it incredibly costly?

Thanks! in advance to those who reply for your diligent assistance.

All the Very BESTest in 2006!

Dan R.

Dan R.

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
That's cool, I have been wondering about rotating video too, good to know.

In terms of enlarging pictures, you are unfortunately limited by the amount of information present. Suppose you have a picture of someone's office. There is a piece of paper on the desk that seems to have writing on it, but when you zoom in you just see the same grey blur, only larger. This is because the information is not actually saved in the picture, the picture only contains grey pixels of various shades. The computer cannot "make up" what it says, there just is not enough data to go on.

So, a 20kb JPG file is not going to look like much enlarged 100x.

The best I have found is IrfanView, which can use a Lanczos filter to enlarge a picture and it actually attempts to guess what is there. It does a pretty good job, but nothing like the unlimited zooming you see on TV - I'm guessing that is fictional. You can zoom in a fair bit if you are starting from an extremely large, high resolution image, but you are still limited by the detail of the picture that was actually taken.