Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HyperThreading

• Please log in to reply

BInarY

BInarY

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Should i turn it on or off? I currently have my settings turned off for HT technology. I read in a magazine that HT is for multi-tasking and if your a gamer.... you should have it off since it will not dedicate all the power the game. I just downloaded a Quake4 patch that states an increase of 25% to game performance if HT is on? I dont play quake4 all the time i have other games as well that i play. I run a Pentium 630 HT, its not dual core

Edited by BInarY, 23 December 2005 - 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Leave it off alot off games throw a hissy fit when its turned on.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
How do you turn it off? :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have a pentium 4 3.0e and I leave the hyperthreading on. For my pc it doesnt make a difference.

I tried turning it off once, didnt help any. I do play graphic intensive games.

Just try it and see if you get better results.

You have to go into the bios and disable hyperthreading.

Edited by jrm20, 23 December 2005 - 02:58 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
General its only the intel hyperthreading that can cause probs, i havent heard of it being a bother with AMDs.

Alot of games are ok with it especially after the first couple of patches its when they are just out some will go abit funny, it wont make a difference usually games dont use it, and you really arent going to notice the boost in quake 4 unless its struggling to play at the moment, if you are looking for Q4 mods the parralax mapping one is really good makes it look even better.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

General its only the intel hyperthreading that can cause probs, i havent heard of it being a bother with AMDs.

Alot of games are ok with it especially after the first couple of patches its when they are just out some will go abit funny, it wont make a difference usually games dont use it, and you really arent going to notice the boost in quake 4 unless its struggling to play at the moment, if you are looking for Q4 mods the parralax mapping one is really good makes it look even better.

I just wanted to know for some friends' computers. :tazz:

Thanks jrm and warriorscot for the info.