Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 won't load

• Please log in to reply

Mr Chips

Mr Chips

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello
I'm currently having problems trying to start windows 98 on a computer (not this one) but it goes to the startup menu (The f8 screen) and I get the following warning:

Windows has detected a registry configuration eror.
Choose, command prompt only, and run SCANREG.

After selecting "command prompt only" I get the following message:

The following file is missing or corupted; C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
The following file is missing or corupted; C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
The following file is missing or corupted; C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

C:\>

Cannot find WIN.COM unable to continue loading windows

C:\>

Can anyone help me get into windows? I want to back up the files on the PC and upgrade to XP (it's my mother's PC and she was waiting for me to come home to do it for her).

Thanks

Mr Chips

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you cannot run the first part of this then set the PC to boot from CD ROM Drive, boot the PC with the 98 CD inserted, select load from CD ROM, install Windows, ignore message about Windows already installed. This will let you get the data off so you can format / upgrade or format / clean install another version of Windows, it is not recommended as a solution if you intend to keep using 98SE

This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Mr Chips

Mr Chips

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Keith,
I re-installed windows 98 from the CD. However I've encountered a couple more problems. I ran scanreg.exe/fix but I have been unable to run the system file checker because Windows will not recognise the CD drive now. I can access it in DOS, but not once windows has loaded.
The drive shows up in My Computer, but is "not accessible". I had a look at the device manager and it shows up as working properly. Is this a problem with the re-installation or hve i missed something along the way?

Also, the files I wanted to copy for after I install XP have disappeared too but I presume that after a disk defragmentation they will show up again???

I was considering reloading Windows 98 from disk again, but am unsure whether it will help?

Any more advice?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try CD Gone Patch, top of list

http://www.geekstogo...action=cat&id=1

I would think the missing files went when the system files were deleted

Try a command prompt to type scanreg /restore to see if you have dates before the system files were deleted

Mr Chips

Mr Chips

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Keith,
Thank for the help. I was on holidays and have had to return to work before getting a chance to finish it, and my mother isn't too confident fixing it herself so is taking the computer to the place that she usually gets to do stuff for her. :tazz:
But your help was much appreciated.