Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird error message

• Please log in to reply

mcgodx

mcgodx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Today I was wanting to remove a bunch of stuff I didn't need from my computer, in hopes of speeding it up (it's been VERY slow lately) and I ran into a snag.

I was wanting to uninstall my demo version of Norton Internet Security (I think that it is causing some problems on my computer, ever since I installed it, it was running very slowly) and I got an error message:

"The installer requires that Windows Installer be on your computer. Without it, you cannot install this Symantec product.

"Do you want to update the Microsoft Windows Installer now?"

I do, and I get another error:

"Setup was unable to update the MSI system component. If this problem continues, please contact Microsoft at www.microsoft.com"

What is going on here? I've never had this problem, and I tried looking on Microsoft's website, but to no avail.

Thank you, and I'm not sure if I need to include a log, so I left it out.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try removing Norton with Symnrt, link in section 2 below 3

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Try installing Windows installer after this

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
nortorn alwayz come with uninstaller pack also chek might u have on hard or cd ...

or sometimes when you install it then it ask remove repair option