I also get this error.
I was wondering if my onboard card is simply not capable of handeling the game? It should not be the case. I will try some of the things you all have suggested and found out.
This is my chip: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
I have the latest version of directX, I have updated all drivers I can find and I still get the error, so I will see if your suggestions will work
Here are some helpful things I have learned, from HP and from reading about the gobs of other people who have this error.
Here is a direct link to the DirectX 9.0c (latest version)
If you need to locate your graphics card,
You can verify the Graphics card installed in the PC by performing the
1. Click Start and select Control Panel.
2. Double-click the system icon. If the System icon is not found
directly under Control Panel, click the Performance and
Maintenance icon and then click the System icon.
3. The System properties Window opens. You can open the System
Properties window directly by pressing the Windows key and
Pause/Break key simultaneously.
4. Click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.
5. Click the plus (+) sign next to the Display Adapters
6. Here the Graphics card installed will be listed
Other Resources that might help, from Activision: