Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No response on startup

• Please log in to reply

dmborchert

dmborchert

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I was just about to clean off my old computer in order to give it to a teenage cousin after not using it for probably about 8 months. I don't recall any problems before packing it up but when I just set it up now I have no response at all. I know for sure that everything is connected properly. I hear the fan running and the monitor power light comes on but no screen response, no response from the keyboard or mouse. CD-rom drive opens, closes and spins discs but nothing else. No idea where to even start?? Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What is the name brand and model number of the computer or if it is a custom build please list the specs.

Try reseating the memory and the video card if it has one, sometimes over a period of time these components can not make contact properly and a simple reseat can work wonders.

Does the system beep at all?

Rick

dmborchert

dmborchert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your quick response, it's an HP Pavilion XE783. The memory, as I recall, is quite difficult to access. System doesn't beep at all. If I press the power button there is also no response at all. I will take it apart and see if I can take a look at the components for dust/other complications. Thanks

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Make sure that the CPU is properly seated, without it not much else happens, but you still have power.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If I remember correctly there is a air duct that somewhat conseals the ram in that model hp, it snaps out easily to give you bettes access to the ram