Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

drives overlaying

• Please log in to reply

ripsta7s

ripsta7s

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello dear friends, i've got a critical problem in my hands.

it seems that when installing my new ipod, it's taken the drive letter formerly associated with an external hard drive, k:\ (note that i did not have the hard drive connected during the ipod's installation). as a result, the hard drive does not show up anywhere, not even when the ipod isn't connected (and could plausibly be 'taking' its position).

what am i to do? i've tried entering all 26 letters of the alphabet as drives in the address bar with no luck. restoring is a lost cause, seeing as how it tells me that changes made to k:\ cannot be reversed.

help is much appreciated, and let me know if the problem isn't clear enough.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and install from Micosoft a small program called TweakUI. Connect your external hard drive, open the program, click My Computer > Drives, check all the letters and click OK.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
connect your IPOD

change ITS drive letter while it's connected

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Manager

Reboot.

Shut down windows

Reattach external drive.

ripsta7s

ripsta7s

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
got nothing =\

thanks, in any case. if anyone has more solutions, send away.