Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Is Too Quiet

• Please log in to reply

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I got a new desktop for christmas today and my mom didn't buy the speakers for it because I had some. Now the sound is WAY to quiet because the software was made for speakers that have thier own volume knob.

Is there a program I can download or a way to change the sound driver to make it louder?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello logan11,
I assume you don't have amplified speakers. There is really no driver that can increase the sound amplitude. If you can't increase the sound volume for .wav using the multimedia controls in Control panel, or the speaker icon next to the clock, you're not going to have much luck.

On the old computer, was the sound louder? Did you plug the speakers into the right colored jack receptacle? Normally the green jack is the speaker output, but sometimes the black jack will be louder. Also, sometimes there is a jumper on the motherboard or soundcard that you can set when using an unamplified speaker system. Read the manual that came with the computer.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Yes, they are unamplified, and they worked perfectly on the old computer.

I have a phobia of going into my tower since I'm the reason we had to get a new computer :-/

And we have 3 spots for plugs like that and the other 2 don't work.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you double-click on the speaker icon next to the clock to check all your settings? Nothing muted or volume set too low?

Edited by makai, 26 December 2005 - 04:23 AM.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Everything is set to high :-/

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You might try searching the manufactures site for an updated driver. Who makes the computer? Is there an asset tag or service tag number on the computer?
Also, the user manual may have something in there specific to unamplified speakers. Sure sounds like you need to move a jumper or something.

Edited by makai, 27 December 2005 - 12:09 PM.