Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not start windows xp

• Please log in to reply

denkodt

denkodt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello;

I turned on my computer one day, and it did not start. It just got up to the windows xp logo, and then just restarted. When I tried starting it in Safe Mode, once the list of things loading started coming up, at the end it asked me

"Press Esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys"

and whether I pressed the Esc or not the computer just restarted. Next I tried a different thing. I got the program "WinRescue XP" and I tried to boot the computer by making a book dist on my other computer. This time as the computer started booting up, when the windows xp logo came up, the screen turns black and the following message appeared:

The following file is either missing or corrupt:
\system32\HAL.dll

and after this regardless of what button I press, the computer just restarts. At this time even if I try to start the computer without the boot disk, the same message appears. Something about the HAL.dll being either missing or corrupt. I have no idea what is the problem. Please let me know if this even makes sense to anyone. The computer worked perfectly the day before, no problems.

Thanks

denkodt

Edited by denkodt, 25 December 2005 - 04:51 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Your best option would be to try a windows xp repair
XP Repair
If you get stuck let me know

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
:tazz: This method assumes there is SOME way you can get into windows and/or reload something.

You need to get your XP CD. Put it in, and re copy all of the system 32 files. These files often go corrupt due to other malware.

When you get done, preferrably scan with AVG for viruses, scan for spyware, and maybe EVEN post a basic hijack this log so the malware experts here that tell you if you have junk on your computer.

Hope that helps, and if not; let us know in this same post--helping you is what we do.

-Stephen V. (PS: Try what the tech guy said up there, this will hopefully let you get passed the log on screen.)

Edited by STV0726, 25 December 2005 - 05:49 PM.

denkodt

denkodt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the quick response. I tried the repairing thing as it was first suggested, and when I got to the blue screen, it never asked me to repair the existing windows installation. I think something worse happened, because instead, I saw the prompt to select the partition to install windows on. It gets even worse. In the first line of the list of partitions it shows this:

Partition1 [Unknown]

I guess this is not good, becuase it used to say NTFS in the brackets. I would like to try the other suggestion, but I have a question. How do you copy the "system32" folder from the CD if I can't turn on the computer? I'm not familiar with DOS at all.

Thanks

denkodt

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Does not sound good.
Ok start your computer and start tapping F8
Does this will give a list of options.
If yes can you choose last known good configuration.
If not what options are listed

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
do you think you can do this
Repair Hal.dll

denkodt

denkodt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
First off I tried the first suggestion, hitting the F8 and selecting Last Known Good Configuration. The list of options opened, and as soon as I selected Windows XP from the list, the computer restarted. So the last known good configuration does not work.

Then I tried the second suggestion, rebuilding my boot.ini, but after I pressed R for Recovery Console, I did not get any list of available operating systems. It gets even worse, at the C prompt, I tried typing "dir" and I got the following message:

An Error occured during directory enumeration

I would like to be able to start that computer at least once, so that I can get the important files from it. Obviously one way would be to format it and start all over, but I was wondering if there is a possibility of saving something at least.

Thanks

denkodt

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do not reformat
You will loose everything.
You can try and download NTFSDOS
Ntfs dos
Boot with this and see if you can read C drive.
Or try a 3rd party software
ERD
I will ask some others to look in on this thread also
Have you got another computer so we can take this drive out and put it in the other computer as a slave drive
Then we take off the data you need. Then reformat -Reformat is a last ditch effort.
Also try this
Another hal fix
I think if you can make a slave drive this would be best.
If you do not know how let me know and I will step through it with you

Edited by peterm, 27 December 2005 - 12:37 AM.

denkodt

denkodt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I will try connecting the hard drive as a slave to another computer if the other suggestions will not work. Thanks a lot for your help, I will be away for the next two weeks starting tomorow, so I will only be able to read this post today. If I don't receive any other suggestions by the end of today, then I just want to thank all of you for your help.

Thanks

denkodt

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
When you get back let us know if you still need help

cotinzu

cotinzu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!
I recently encountered the same problem as mentioned above.
The day before i mounted new coolers on CPU and GPU, put everything in place started the computer.
In Normal Mode it keeps restarting while in the Loading Windows screen.
In Failsafe Mode it tells me to "Press ESC .... SPTD.sys"
Nothing about the HAL.dll though.
Was there any final solution?

I tried checkdisk in the Repairconsole, wich halted at 57%
Afterwards i tried to repeat this procedure but recieved a bluescreen, wich said, my bios was not compatible to ACAP.
Anyway, the hard drive is operational in my friends system, both as slave and as primary boot device.

Kind regards,

cotinzu

Edited by cotinzu, 17 August 2006 - 04:10 AM.