Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Video Card Advice

• Please log in to reply

KindKill

KindKill

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Any suggestions on video cards? I was looking forward to ordering a PNY VCG6800GXPB Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card right now, but they are out of stock. So i was looking around, and they had almost idenical cards for $100 cheaper. Anyone have suggestions on a brand or something?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah if you are looking into getting an nvidia for that price range then go for the 6800gs, yes the 6800 gs is the new version of the 6800 gt and the in game fps is actually abit better than the gt is.

The reason its cheaper is because the gs has a few less pipelines but it does not seem to effect it at all in the gameplay.

If you want the fastest card for that price range look into an ati x850xt which is a little faster than both the 6800 gt and gs.

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

there is 2 in your price range one is 249 one is 259 dollars.

Edited by jrm20, 25 December 2005 - 05:20 PM.

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'll check that out. Too bad i bought Call of Duty 2 yesterday from Wal-Mart, but at least it helpped me find this site. But i did find that the BFG 7800 was a good deal with the Call of Duty 2 package.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL ya but the 7800 series are more money the gtx is especially more.

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmm, i do like the ati x850x, and will this run all games no problems with at least reasonable settings? I also hope this can run in SLI, I'll check that out, cause i need to order 2 eventually

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ahhhh bummer, the ati x850x isn't SLi compatible :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yes it will be able to play any game with reasonable settings. I noticed you edited..

The ati cards arent for sli but an ati card will fit in that board. You didnt tell me to begin with you wanted 2 cards lol..

Edited by jrm20, 25 December 2005 - 05:28 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SLI is an nvidia thing, ATI have the crossfire system but its slow on being released and getting two cards is more trouble than its worth with SLI so many times. Do you have an SLI mobo to use SLI? the x850 depending on the rest of your computer should run everything on high.

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yeah, my fault, but didn't think it was nessisary, because looks like all cards are going in that direction. So, any other suggestions on a SLi compatible card?

And yeah i have the A8N SLi ASUS board, and its SLi ready. I can run one card, but i would like the option of 2 for the future.

Edited by KindKill, 25 December 2005 - 05:30 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you want sli you should go ahead and buy them both now, get two 6800gs video cards if you want sli and yes they do help if you want the aa and af all the way in new games.

Advertisements

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
And your saying that 12 PixelPipelines will be just as good as 16? Hardly noticable?

Ahh man, just ordered my CPU last night, if i would have waited i could've gotten a Combo Deal with the video card XD

Edited by KindKill, 25 December 2005 - 05:34 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6800gs runs faster than the 6800gt yes. Get two 6800gs at the same time and I would get the ones that said sli ready to make shure everything is good to go.

Yes two of those 6800gs stays up with the most powerful video cards out now. Two 6800gs is perfect if you are wanting sli.

http://www.motherboa...are/1564_6.html

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright, last thing, heres a link: http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

Curious, some are 20 dollars cheaper just for a different brand, any brands you suggest to stay away from or to go for?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Evga and xfx are the best ones in there that I see. Probably go for the 2 xfx.

Make shure you have a good amount of memory on your pc. 2gb of ram recommended.

A true power good powersupply also is needed with sli ready.

like these.

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

Edited by jrm20, 25 December 2005 - 05:43 PM.

KindKill

KindKill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmmm, what if i was just going to buy one for now, and the second card next week? Would i still need 2Gb of RAM? And Power Supply :tazz: forgot about that. I bought a $150 case and it came with a power supply, so i figured it would be alright.