Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting problem

• Please log in to reply

govinda

govinda

• Pip
  • 6 posts
HI,

When i came back from my holidays in September i found my PC self restarting and restaing. i thought i shut down it before i went on leave. May be i didn't , not sure. when i start the PC the boot screen displays for a few seconds, than rather going further ahead towards the login page it restarts again. before my leave it was working fine. I was lucky that i got another partition in my PC. so i installed XP again in that partition and its doing well. i have Norton Antivirus 9.0 installed in my system.

I still can't start the old XP installed in the other partition. even i login through new XP i can't access the my documents folder in that partition but the program files are ok, i can access them. Please, help me to sort out this problem.

Advertisements

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Can you boot in safe mode?
Tapping f8 while booting up

govinda

govinda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, i can't restart in safemode.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why not? What happens when you try to start in safe mode?

govinda

govinda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When i start the system in the safe mode, it displays a list of lines like
multi()disk()rdisk()partition1()windows\system32....... then blank screen and 'no signal detected' and restart itself .

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I had the same problem.. I also installed windows xp on another partition then I copied all my important files on to disc and reformatted. Everything was fine after that..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you say what the last line before the screen goes blank says...should list something.sys

What is happening is (i think) you have a corrupt driver, which is causing a crash. Your PC is set up to reboot on crashes,thus the problem

govinda

govinda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had the same problem.. I also installed windows xp on another partition then I copied all my important files on to disc and reformatted. Everything was fine after that..

i could copy my files if i could access the 'my documents' folder from that drive or partition. when i try to open it it says you cannot access this folder .........

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

i could copy my files if i could access the 'my documents' folder from that drive or partition. when i try to open it it says you cannot access this folder .........

Log on as administrator by going in to safe mode of the 2nd windows installation

govinda

govinda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

can you say what the last line before the screen goes blank says...should list something.sys

What is happening is (i think) you have a corrupt driver, which is causing a crash. Your PC is set up to reboot on crashes,thus the problem

Thanks for taking interest in my problem.

i checked the last line. it reads like .........system32\drivers\agp440.sys

The first line is ........system32\ntoskrnl ...something like this

if it's a corrupt driver problem, then how can i repair it ?

govinda

govinda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Log on as administrator by going in to safe mode of the 2nd windows installation

i did but it says access denied.