Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows98 freezes while installing

• Please log in to reply

Deb0256

Deb0256

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I did an fdisk-format-and when i am installing windows 98 it freezes at the
point of:
1. where i want windows98 installed © or
2. what kind of install i want (typical)

This computer has had windows98 on it already but i did the fdisk because i was
having issues with windows not recognizing the modem saying it could find the
port and didn't know what else to do at that point....

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Do you try to re-boot after it freezes to see if install will pick up where it left off?

Also, make sure you do not have a built in antivirus program running which is accessable in BIOS. If antivirus programs are left running during Setup, they may prevent Setup from properly updating the system files. If this occurs, disable or uninstall the antivirus program, and then run Setup again. After re-formatting, its only the one in BIOS that may be the problem.

Are you using a Win 98 Startup diskette to install where it uses the virtual ram setup to allow use of the disk utilities and to install the CD-ROM driver to complete setup?

This may not be relevant at this stage, but for your information : If you want to format drive C, you need to make this disk a system disk so that your computer can start. To do this, type /s at the end of the FORMAT command. For example:

FORMAT C: /s

System Startup files will be automatically copied after your drive is formatted.

I've probably set a World Record for the number of times I've installed Win 98 and Win 98SE. It froze on me many times at different stages. And, yep, I re-formatted HD to always get back to a fresh start. Didn't solve the install problem...just made me feel better starting from a clean point.

I recommend just turning off the power, wait about 15 seconds, and turn the power back on to see if install will complete. You may have to do this many times.

You can also scan disk for errors. To check all your hard disks for errors, type:

Scandisk /all

To perform a full surface scan of your hard disk(s) for
maximum protection against data loss, type:

Scandisk /all /Surface

If you get LONG FILE NAMES errors, these need to be corrected within Windows later.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Ron