Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Panda 2006 Internet Securties Solutions

• Please log in to reply

lynn48

lynn48

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have used Panda now for about 3 years and it by far removes and catches more virus attempts than McAffee or Norton. I was infected 3 times while using McAffee and have not had problems with Panda!

UNTIL NOW - It worked so well that when offered the upgrade from just the Antivirus to their complete Protection at a special price I jumped at it!

I paid for the program on Sept 30 and have not been able to get it installed since. I have done everything they suggested and cleaned all mention of any previous antivirus programs including theirs. I sent them an email explaining exactly what comes up as an error message upon rebooting after installation.

So I am here to see if someone can help. After rebooting I get the following two messages:

"Program will not open unable to locate APVXDWIN.EXE missing component storeman.dll try reinstalling,
Program will not open unable to locate INICIO.EXE missing component borlndmm.dll"

I certainly hope someone can give me some help, I believe whoever is running the support for Panda in Brazil just dosen't get what I am saying.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this a download from the Panda Site

If you save the download to a folder in my documents, or wherever, is it the same size as shown on the site

Use add / remove to uninstall anything for Panda, then click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for Panda, right click and delete any it finds, if you get access denied, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up and look for any mention of Panda, the list under command will help, remove ticks for all Panda entries, click apply, reboot

Search for Panda again, right click and delete any remaining files

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC)After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try installing Panda

Is there a reason for not having SP2

lynn48

lynn48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I downloaded from panda to a file and then installed from there. I have not gone to the SP2 because of all the problems I have heard about that package.
I do have it on cd but once installed I will have to update it as I have had it for over 6 months. I have an older PIII 500ghz HP and I am just afraid that I will not be able to reboot and get to my business and tax files, etc. I do have Norton Systemworks running and Ghost.

After I can get this Panda up and running to make sure that I do not have anything else causing problems I will try it. Also any pointers for installing it will also be appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How did the system file check go and also Tune Up disc and registry clean up

After you download and save another copy of Panda, disconnect the disable Norton Systemworks and Ghost, before installing Panda

lynn48

lynn48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am working thru all that now. I wanted to make sure my external drive is good and clean before I do a drive image of my main drive to that as a backup.

That Tuneup program seems to work better than those I have paid good money for. It found other references to Panda but not any for McAfee.

That was my next question about Norton Systemworkds 2005. Should I totally uninstall it prior to attempting an install of Panda?

I believe this will be the last time I let Panda talk me into an upgrade as my old Panda Antivirus was working just fine. I just thought that since they did such a good job on the viruses that their total Internet suite with firewall had to be a good one.

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST THING I NEED TO WATCH FOR WHEN AND IF I INSTALL WIN XP sp2?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If systemworks has a taskbar icon, right click it to look for close / exit which should be fine, I wouldn't bother uninstalling it

As long as you are offline, you can right click most of the taskbar icons near the clock and close them, include the hidden ones, this is so nothing butts in while Panda is installing

As the firewall will be off, make sure you are not connected

lynn48

lynn48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks so much.

I always turn that firewall off when installing and disconnect from the internet. In case Panda finds something during installation, should I make a new restore point after cleaning up any trojans, spyware, etc., and then do a reboot?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could be useful if the drive is large enough, system restore uses 12% of the drive at its default setting then starts to delete the older restore points to make room for the new ones

I would reboot then create the restore point

How is panda going