Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what processes should be running?

• Please log in to reply

jetfan

jetfan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. I am new to this site and was hoping to get some assistance. I had some spyware.adware enter my system, which I believe, for the most part, that I got rid of. In attempts to get rid of it, I disabled some processes which I didn't feel that I needed. Now, I have 2 problems that I don't know how to resolve and am trying to avoid a reinstall of windows xp. 1, when I try to scan something with my Epson scanner, it takes about ten minutes, where it used to take about one minute, each scan thereafter takes longer. 2, it no longer sees my memory card reader. I am not sure if these two are related. For the scanner, I d/l'd the latest drivers from Epson, but all that did is tell me that it will take 10 minutes to scan, or longer.
In trying to clean up spyware/adware I have used the following software: ad-aware, spy-bot. clean-up, webroot spy sweeper, ca antivirus(not sure if that helped any, but it does find affected files once in a while) and I ran a test from Microtrend online, which does find something that it can't get rid of, but when I click on it, the browser closes, some type of grayware it says.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.
Joe

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi Joe, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums, I am sure we will be able to assist you, first download this program:
Hijackthis

This program will scan your computer and pick up any malware that you have not removed.

When you have completed the scan, save the log file and post it here:
]Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Geeks To Go Staff will assist you futher on once you have posted the log in.

I hope you get your problem solved. Goodluck :tazz:

jetfan

jetfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi again. You posted the log in the incorrect place, please post you hijacklog here:

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here
(Click on the link above:)

If that does not work copy this:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware-Removal-HiJackThis-Logs-Go-Here-f37.html

and put it into your address bar.

Thank you. :tazz:

jetfan

jetfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am sorry, I misunderstood you, should I create a new topic?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

I am sorry, I misunderstood you, should I create a new topic?

Hi, no problem. But remebmer that all Hijacklogs must be posted in Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Yes start a new topic under that forum. And GTG staff will assist you with your problem.

Enjoy. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I moved the log to malware

jetfan

jetfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok I posted it, probably titled it wrong though, but thank you for your assistance

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The log didn't make it to the one you posted, have merged them so it is in your post

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=495605