Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shut down, now it won't reboot!

• Please log in to reply

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Help!! My main computer shut down on us, at random. Now it's not rebooting. Nothing seems to work!! We think a virus downloaded in when a computer program updated itself, but nothing came up saying there was one, so we're not quite sure. It won't start up with any of the back up disks and such. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Please help! Thank you!

Edited by ComputerAngel18, 26 December 2005 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You need to explain what exactly happens when you push the power button,

does a logo appear?
Does a screen with white lettering come on (post screen)

Rick

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Thank you for the reply, sorry there wasn't enough info at first. There have been some improvements since I posted. We get the start up beep and it allows us into the bios. I got into the computer health and all looks fine, the numbers and such are normal. I think it might have over heated, but now we can't get out of the screen. Computer completely froze. Before it wouldn't let us this far, but we left it alone and got that. Any suggestions? Thank you for any responses.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome

Please post the system specs as near as you can

Could you post the voltages and temps from "PC Health" ?

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think a stick of dynamite will work at this point. We tried to get back in, because the computer only seems to work after it's been turned off for a bit of time. It froze at a black screen, no start up beep or nothing, with a white cursor just blinking in the upper left hand corner and a blue line across the bottom of the screen. Sorry couldn't get the specs, it froze before I got to it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I many times wanted to use dynamite on these things but,,,,,,,,,

Make sure the heatsink is clear of dust, this would cause a overheat situation, use a can of compressed air to blow out but becarefull not to invert the can because liquid can come out, instead set the computer on the edge of a desk so you can move the can up and down without turning it on its side.

Make sure the heatsink is not loose in any way.

It could also be the power supply among other things so if you could get the temps and voltages that would help.

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Cleaned it all out, now nothing is working. We get a couple of start up beeps and a black screen.

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:P Finally got to PC Health thingie! Okay here is what it reads, all temps and volts as requested:

Act. Temp. 70 C/ 158 F
System Temp. 23 C/ 73 F
CPU Core Temp. 42 C/ 107 F
CPU Fan Speed 2343 RPM
AUX Fan 1 Speed 3013 RPM
CPU Core Voltage 1.28 Volts
ATX +3.3v 3.21 Volts
ATX +5v 4.89 Volts
ATX +12v 11.67 Volts
AGP VDDQ 1.52 Volts
DDR Voltage 2.49 Volts
Battery Voltage(+3v) 3.13 Volts
Standby Voltage (+5v) 4.97 Volts

The computer freezes when we get into that screen. :tazz: :) :) :woot: Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Could you tell me what motherboard, cpu, ram and power supply you have or if this is a brand name the brand and model number?

The voltages and temps look ok there are some I have questions about, the cpu core voltage is low that why I need to know what cpu you have.

I am not sure what Act. temp is but 70c usually is high but will look into it

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The names of the parts requested are:

Motherboard: ABIT Guru 1 Bit VIA 1.49M
CPU: Pentium 4, 2.40A
RAM: PML DDR-333 256 MB
Power Suppy: Antec True 430W Max

Advertisements

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sorry forgot model numbers (we think these are it):
Motherboard: D33068
CPU: MM#868042
Ram: 32WND
Power supply: Not quite sure, all we could find was the True 430 Watt Max on it

Hope this helps. Thank you for your help!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Good job that helps alot, still looking into that act temp but could you look inside the pc, there is the heatsink that sits on top the cpu then there will be another smaller heatsink this would sit on top the northbrige.

Does this northbridge heatsink have a fan on it and when you can power on is it spinning?

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yup have the heatsink has a fan on it...lol...all seven fans on the computer are working just fine.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I was thinking the nothbrige fan may have failed because of the act. temp that is the nothbridge temp and 70C is ok for that, I know Abit boards very well and they all report high northbridge and system temps.

Look on the motherboard next to were it says Abit there should be a model number something like VT7 or IS7, This could help so I know exactly what board it is.

We are going to have to start taking things apart are you comfortable with this?

How many sticks of ram are in it if more than one try taking one out.

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's a VT7 Motherboard, we have 2 sticks of RAM in as the instructions direct