Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

browser

• Please log in to reply

lucien

lucien

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
i have windows xp home and i use firefox. firefox will not open after i shut down my pc. i need to install it again every time. also it will not shot pictures, i need to click view image for everything. whats wrong?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
What version of Firefox? You should have 1.0 by now. If not, you should upgrade. Do you get any error messages after booting up and trying to open Firefox?

Taken from Firefox site (Firefox Help):

How to Make Firefox Start

1. Completely close Firefox.
  2. Make sure Firefox is not running in the backround.
          * In Windows, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, open the Task Manager, view Processes, and make sure firefox.exe is not there. If it is, click on it and End Process. Run Firefox again. If everything goes smoothly, then you can stop. If it doesn't and it hangs invisibly again, repeat the process and try opening it in Safe Mode (see below) next time.
  3. Firefox only. Run Firefox in Safe Mode. Disable your extensions via Tools -> Extensions. If it starts up now, it's an extension problem, and you should try isolating which extension is causing it. Once you do, keep that extension disabled or uninstall it.
          * For Mozilla users and users that don't want to isolate the extension, try the "Clearing Extensions and Themes" trick below.
  4. Browse to your profile directory.
  5. Delete XUL.mfl (also known as "xul.mfasl") from your profile. This file will be regenerated next time you start Firefox.
  6. Delete the Cache folder.
  7. Try running Firefox.
  8. If Firefox still does not work, then more drastic measures may have to be taken. Before continuing, be sure to backup your profile.
  9. At this point, it is usually best to create a new profile.

For the images, go to Tools>Options>Web Features. Make sure "Load images" is checked. You can block/allow images from any particulat web site if you click Exceptions button and enter the URL of sites you want to Block/Allow.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
What version of Firefox? You should have 1.0 by now. If not, you should upgrade. Do you get any error messages after booting up and trying to open Firefox?

Taken from Firefox site (Firefox Help):

How to Make Firefox Start

1. Completely close Firefox.
  2. Make sure Firefox is not running in the backround.
          * In Windows, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, open the Task Manager, view Processes, and make sure firefox.exe is not there. If it is, click on it and End Process. Run Firefox again. If everything goes smoothly, then you can stop. If it doesn't and it hangs invisibly again, repeat the process and try opening it in Safe Mode (see below) next time.
  3. Firefox only. Run Firefox in Safe Mode. Disable your extensions via Tools -> Extensions. If it starts up now, it's an extension problem, and you should try isolating which extension is causing it. Once you do, keep that extension disabled or uninstall it.
          * For Mozilla users and users that don't want to isolate the extension, try the "Clearing Extensions and Themes" trick below.
  4. Browse to your profile directory.
  5. Delete XUL.mfl (also known as "xul.mfasl") from your profile. This file will be regenerated next time you start Firefox.
  6. Delete the Cache folder.
  7. Try running Firefox.
  8. If Firefox still does not work, then more drastic measures may have to be taken. Before continuing, be sure to backup your profile.
  9. At this point, it is usually best to create a new profile.

There are more things to try if this doesn't work.

For the images, go to Tools>Options>Web Features. Make sure "Load images" is checked. You can block/allow images from any particulat web site if you click Exceptions button and enter the URL of sites you want to Block/Allow.

Ron

lucien

lucien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
the "load images " is checked and it still wont load pics

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you having this problem with any other browser?

bobbywilson

bobbywilson

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I also have problem with firefox 1.0 hanging on startup. Also after pasting in things with bugmenot. I have tried it in safe mode... Same thing. I deleted my old profile and went to a known good one and reinstalled firefox.... Same thing. I restored my winsock registry settings.... Didnt fix it. No other programs have this problem. I dont know if anyone could fix this....