Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM question

• Please log in to reply

xMist

xMist

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry for bothering you guys again. This didn't fit in my other topic, so I made a new one. I currently have 512MB of RAM in my Dell but I'm looking to upgrade. After I do a bit more fact-finding to make sure it's compatible with my PC, I'll most likely get this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145025

My question is this: if I get two of these sticks and put them in my two free slots, I'd have the equivalent of 1GB of RAM, correct? And it would function correctly? Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You really did not give us any specifications for your puter. It is always better to have matching ram sticks in computers. There can be timing differences between different manufacturers. Also, if your computer is dual channel capable the memory must be placed in dimmA1 and dimmB1 slots and must be matching to use the dual channel. Otherwise the computer will be running in single channel mode. You may not ever use enough memory to need running in dual channel mode. Some people notice a difference between single channel and dual channel when playing games on the puter.

I have a gig of memory on this puter but have never seen it use more than 400MB. My normal memory usage is around 260-280.

You can probably use the memory without any problems and it may help run a bit faster depending on what programs you are running.

SRX660

xMist

xMist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'll try to give you more info on my computer:

Model: Dell Dimension 4600i
Graphics: nVidia GeForce FX 5200
Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
P4 processor with 512MB currently

I have a tiny RAM-watching tool that sits in my tray when I want it to to monitor my free RAM. When I'm Photoshopping and doing other things at the same time or possibly playing a game, my free RAM level drobs to less than 80MB out of my 512 and I can tell Windows is swapping out between my hard drive and memory.

What Aida says about my memory:

Channel A Dimm 0:
Form factor: DIMM
Type: SDRAM
Type Detail: Synchronous
Size: 256MB
Speed: 400MHz
Total Width: 64-bit
Data Width: 64-bit
Device Locator: Channel A DIMM 0

Then for Channel B DIMM 0 it says the same exact thing except for the locator, of course.

Motherboard Properties:
Manufactured by Dell
Product: 0F4491

My P4 is currently running at 2.8GH from what Aida tells me.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Crucial.com tells me I need 184-pin DIMM.

Edited by xMist, 27 December 2005 - 08:22 AM.

tommyboy

tommyboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I'd like to know if I'd be able to put DDR 400 ram on my pc. This guy wrote in a forum that you can put ram that is faster then the one for your computer, is that true? He said your computer will adjust it to a slower speed. Anyways please help.

Thank you

My specs:

CPU
You Have: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU Speed
You Have: 2.4 GHz
Operating System
You Have: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
System RAM
You Have: 255.5 MB
Video Card
You Have: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (GeForce FX 5500)
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes
You have – Yes
Video RAM:
You have - 256.0 MB
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0
You have - 2.0
Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.8194
DirectX Version
You Have: 9.0c
Sound Card
You Have: MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Sound Card Driver Version
Your driver version number is: 5.1.2535.0
Free Disk Space
You Have: 40.2 GB
CD
You Have: HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520B
Motherboard
AOpen AX4B Pro-533 Motherboard

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here is crucials answer for you, tommyboy.

Though DDR memory was designed to be backward compatible (meaning you can use PC3200 DDR in a computer designed to use PC2100 DDR or vice-versa), we always recommend that you use the Crucial Memory Selector to find exactly the right memory for your computer.

You should be able to use faster memory in computers that have slower bus speeds. I run PC 3200 memory in my athlon XP puters that are 333 front side bus. They are meant to run PC2700 but the PC3200 runs fine. The motherboard sees the memory as PC2700. One exception i know of is the intel 865P chipset( notice the single "P") on intel motherboards. This chipset will not run PC3200 memory. The puter will not boot up when you try using faster than PC2700 memory.

xmist, Your computer is probably setup with PC2100 memory. The only reason to buy faster speed memory is either you plan to buy a newer computer later that can use the faster speed or you can buy the faster speed memory cheaper than the PC2100 memory. Make sure you do not have the 865 P chipset on your motherboard. This chipset was the first of the 865 series and intel very quickly switched to the 865PE and 865G series.

When i looked up the motherboard i found this.

http://www.active-ha...x4b-pro-533.htm

With that motherboard chipset it may not support the DDR 400 memory(PC3200)simply because the chipset was made before there was PC3200 memory.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 27 December 2005 - 02:21 PM.

xMist

xMist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah, I have an i865G. So you're saying RAM above PC2100 won't make a difference? bummer

well I can get 2100 but I think I have a PDF'd manual for my compy somehwere around here I'll take a look at.

this looks good (because I can't really find any PC 2100 cheaper on newegg): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820161614

is there any problem with using this? thanks.

Edited by xMist, 27 December 2005 - 02:48 PM.

xMist

xMist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Actually it turns out I am able to use PC 3200 memory (this is from my PDF manual for the 4600)

Attached Thumbnails

• memory.JPG

Saynt Cinn

Saynt Cinn

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
correct you are.
Max Ram: 4 Gb
Ram Slots: 4
Even though matching pairs are required for the system to run in Dual Channel mode, the system will still function if running in Single Channel mode or with an odd number of DIMMs installed.