Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows OS not loading now

• Please log in to reply

trailboss

trailboss

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer worked on with Xp, than I wanted to try a linux OS, I did get it loaded, did not like so was going back to windows, now no OS will load. I tried 98 wont load 2000, get the blue screen Xp starts and stops at the debugging kernel part and says error4. Linux OX will just scan and restarts. I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't think the bios has a virus in it, i never heard that can happen, but I did do a restore on it to make sure and still no luck. I set bios at default and opt,,,still no luck. I'm thinking If I had a good hard drive repair and format software I can get it running. Nothing on it has to be saved. Anyone know of any free hard drive repair software? But if anyone think I should try something else please let me know.
thanks
Trailboss

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The hard drive manufacturer is likely to have a set up utility, it needs to have a write zeros to drive option

Post back if you cannot find one, there are a few others about

trailboss

trailboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You might be right. I did try a different drive, have a few laying around, I tried 2 others and both did the same. So your saying I need to go the the Hd manufactures site a get the installer software for the drive?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depending on the size, it could take 8 hours to write zeros but is usually a good way of making sure the disk is OK

trailboss

trailboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
But what about a linux OS? It should load no matter what, right? Since it was formated you say I will need the drive loader software?

trailboss

trailboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I did change the drive, the bios did see the drive everytime and the software started to load or shall I say it was read in some cases, but never did load.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you haven't got anything you need on the drive, use the manufacturer's set up tools, it will be the better option, that's what I would do

trailboss

trailboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nope, none of my extra drives have anything i need to keep. I don't have any CD's for any so i'll have to go to the manufactures site. thanks Keith

Trailboss

P,S :it's strange alot of people are having this problem, I was in the chat area about 3 hours ago and someone had the same problem. You think it's new Virus?

thanks again

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'd say its just the incompatibility between Windows and Linux...

Too many people with not enough experience are trying to create dual-boots with Windows and Linux side by side, and they screw it up, unknowingly most the time...

Did that myself, 2 months ago, installed Linux on my second hdd, external... Then whenever my external would be off, the bootloader wouldnt activate, and i had a screen half full with 07's.

I gotta work on that some more, but I'm pretty sure its no virus.

trailboss

trailboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I was not trying to have 2 OS on my puter. It was what Keith said, when I loaded the linux on, it deleted everything mainly what I needed to keep was the disk utility. I just did not have my brain on!!! Anyway as I was looking for the file I needed I ran across a great tool. Ultimate CD boot and it is a free download. Just in case heres the link. It might not be a bad Idea to have in your download section, as it has alot of help tools!!
Thanks Keith
Trailboss

boot cd download

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yes I'm familiar with this website. I would have downloaded it if i had high-speed.

Built myself my own boot disk however.