Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Device Manager, Can't Burn CD's, Can't use iPod

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RavenTwyst

RavenTwyst

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all. I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

A few months ago I turned on my pc and my graphics were garbled. At first I thought my video card had been fried but after reinstalling my drivers everything worked ok. That was just the beggining.

Over time I started to notice some pop up ads whenever I would use (be forced to use) IE. Then one day I tried to burn a CD using iTunes and was given a failure notification.

After searching around I found the error. It was a power failure and my burner was not being read. So I went to the device manager and of course it was blank.

I googled for the next few days and located a ton of information. I tried the aproposfix, reg edits, every spyware and trojan tool I could find but nothing was ever found.

My Device Manager still works in safe mode which leads me to believe it must be malware or a virus or something...

I also just recieved an iPod for Christmas and of course my pc won't read it. It's installed and shows up in ad/remove but when I open iTunes it won't show up. Works on my sisters pc fine however.

I'll wait until someone responds before posting a hijackthis log or anything.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. This is so terribly frustrating.

Oh I should add that I bought this pc from "joe pc builder" so of course I can't update from windows. Found that out after unistalling that update which caused others problems (KB905749) and then trying to reupdate. I'll be trying to get ahold of him.

Edited by RavenTwyst, 27 December 2005 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Oh I should add that I bought this pc from "joe pc builder" so of course I can't update from windows. Found that out after unistalling that update which caused others problems (KB905749) and then trying to reupdate. I'll be trying to get ahold of him.

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

I am a little confused here.. First you say you can't update from Windows.. Why is that?? Are you getting an error message or something??

Then you say you uninstalled an update and that caused problems.. How did you get the update if you can't get updates as per your first statement??

BTW, I do think a visit to the Malware Forum is in order just to ensure there is nothing lurking there!!

Murray

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
blank device manager is a recent malware symptom, Murray is correct you should visit the southern forums :tazz:

RavenTwyst

RavenTwyst

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

I am a little confused here.. First you say you can't update from Windows.. Why is that?? Are you getting an error message or something??

Then you say you uninstalled an update and that caused problems.. How did you get the update if you can't get updates as per your first statement??

Well I updated to the patch I mentioned before and it must have had some sort of windows validation thing in it. Now if I go to update it tells me my copy of windows is invalid.

I will go ahead and repost a copy of my original thread in the "southern forums".

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Well I updated to the patch I mentioned before and it must have had some sort of windows validation thing in it. Now if I go to update it tells me my copy of windows is invalid.

I will go ahead and repost a copy of my original thread in the "southern forums".

Odds are you won't get any help there now as you have just admitted to using a not so kosher version of XP.. It would appear your "Joe PC Builder" dude installed a pirated version..

Due to this development, I am forced to close this thread as our ToS does not allow us to assist with problems caused by illegal software or the use of illegal software..

Should you have any concerns about this, please feel free to PM me for an explanation!!

Murray