Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem viewing images on a specific website (myspace)

• Please log in to reply

gem_84

gem_84

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Should probably explain that I'm not the best when it comes to computers, so patience is much appreciated!

I'm using IE to view web pages and it is fine on almost every site - except myspace. Some items will not appear, mainly the boxes containing the 'contact, add friend' buttons etc, or the 'online' images. Basically no gif or jpg files will work on this site, when they are fine on almost everything else. They did used to work, and I can't think of anything I've done/installed recently which would make them disappear.

I've read through a few other threads and changed the security settings as recommended but it doesn't seem to work, and having got rid of a lot of viruses fairly recently I don't fancy keeping the levels so low!

Any advice is much appreciated, many thanks,

Gem

Edited by gem_84, 27 December 2005 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
can you only not view JPGs and GIFs or are there other formats. i am just wondering if it is a format thing. most likely it is a browser setting.

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

I've just double checked, and it seems to be only gif images which will not view (including animated gifs). I have some jpg images stored on photobucket and they appear no problem.

As far as I know everything else seems fine :tazz:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
if you are running ie check follow the instructions below and make sure that the browser is letting you view animated pictures.

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Multimedia, clear one or more of the Show pictures, Play animations, Play videos, or Play sounds check boxes.

the play animations thing, if the browser is stopping it, may also be blocking all gifs.

hope this helps, be sure to let us know if this does help

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunatly even after changing the multimedia settings the page will still not view properly. I also downloaded Firefox as I've read it is a very safe browser, and the same images will not view, as in IE :tazz:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
can you give us a url with one of the pages that you cant veiw the pictures on and tells us exactly which ones you cant view. that way we can check to see if its the coder of the site, or if its you.

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok here is a random profile which will not view properly for me:

http://profile.myspa...715238606952799

The "Contact ____" box will not view at all, just 8 images with 3 shapes in it, or the bit under each persons photograph where it would normally say "online".

Thank you for your help

Edited by gem_84, 30 December 2005 - 09:21 AM.

gem_84

gem_84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

I do apologise for bumping this up, but I've read on another thread where someone had a problem viewing images that it may be a problem with Flash images, I've checked my settings and both my macromedia and shockwaves are completly up-to-date, so I'm stumped :tazz:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
just make sure now, that the browser isnt blocking flash. :) i know this is a duplicate :tazz:

if you are running ie check follow the instructions below and make sure that the browser is letting you view animated pictures.

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Multimedia, clear one or more of the Show pictures, Play animations, Play videos, or Play sounds check boxes.

the play animations thing, if the browser is stopping it, may also be blocking all gifs.

hope this helps, be sure to let us know if this does help

also are you running any kind of any virus, anti-adware, any kind of antimalware program or anything that may have control of your internet accsess. :)