Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing 160GB slave HDD has slowed PC operation to a halt

• Please log in to reply

Jon DeMassey

Jon DeMassey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Keith, your advice has gone 80% of the way to saving our Xmas break. This HDD was supposed 2B a substitute Xmas present 2 my teenage kids after a new PC was delayed by the constructor until mid-January!

Now:

(a) Much is moving faster, but it still takes about 15 seconds 2 load a forum page and about half a minute & liberal swinging of the torch icon to open, say, My Documents.

(b) Both drives are formatted to NTFS because, simply, a 160GB drive cannot be efficiently run by FAT32. I read several places that the 2 systems are not entirely compatible, so I converted C: to NTFS as well.

(c ) I did move or copy data files from C: to F: and wonder maybe if that is having an effect on the PC's process of retrieval?

(d) I have no system file or any means of back up unless XP can back up to drive F: without it being dragged fatally into the format! Or maybe the XP repair tool can be downloaded from somewhere?

(e) I really want to use - C: (36GB) for system files and internet browsing and - F: (160GB) for data and user folders, large programs e.g. Freelancer and data-heavy online games such as Star Wars Galaxy.

(f) I lost Outlook Express by way of the Address Book being disconnected so I will have to repair OE, therefore IE, therefore Windows.

In summary I need to reach 3 targets:

(1) Retrieve the former quick performance of such tasks as opening folders and web pages

(2) using the 2 drives in tandem for efficient running of games with efficient game data file retrieval.

(3) repair Outlok Express and recover proper email history for all IDs without endangering the PC operation further by my own clumsy mishandling of a reload / format.

You are close 2 getting me there!

Please see me through!

Edited by Jon DeMassey, 28 December 2005 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What were the results of the Tune Up tweaks, number of registry errors, registry size reduction etc

Can you download and install NT Registry Optimizer from my signature

It unzips then you right click the green regedit type icon, click send to, send to desktop then click that to run it

Jon DeMassey

Jon DeMassey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ANOTHER POST GONE MISSING!!!!!

I wrote :-

Yes, TuneUp2006 was awesome. I'm gonna buy that prog!

Obviously I missed a trick with the NT registry retrieval.

But ehat about my OE, it strikes me we are all missing emails here.

BTW, on another user it just tok55 seconds to load "Help & Support" from Start. Then a minute & a half to search for "Windows Explorer with nbo results, twice!

This beggars belief! What do you suggest Keith, it's getting desperate!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
XP Repair will take care of OE and IE

Links in post 7

Jon DeMassey

Jon DeMassey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just as a point Keith!

I cannot find the backup process in Windows XP; it is not even traceable through search or help!

Can you tell me how it is done because I'm gonna get on with it! I'm not going leave the kids without a PC just for the sake of avoiding losing a couple of programs.

A few guys have said FAT32 can work with NTFS, and FAT32 is what the disk will restore with if the XP repair doesn't work.

But just clear this up..... If a program on C: in a FAT32 filesystem stores its data files on F: in a NTFS system, is it still able to retrieve the data files as if they were next door on the same drive?

Jon DeMassey

Jon DeMassey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
In fact I wanted the slave file to act as an overspill for programs on the master drive to dump their data files on when out of space on the master.

Will it work that way or will they still act as separate drives?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'll give you a dollar if you will stop changing the color and face of the font. It's giving me a headache.

Where are we now? You seem to be piling issue atop issue.

Let's work on one thing at a time, OK?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My preference would be for both to use NTFS

If you have XP Home you need to install back up

To Manually Install the Backup Utility
Insert the CD Rom and navigate to CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

Double-click the Ntbackup.msi file to start the wizard that installs Backup

When the wizard is complete, click Finish.