Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preloading: your opinions?

• Please log in to reply

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
What are your opinions on image preloading/preloading scripts?
Are they really all that useful?
Would you rather wait before entering the site (and not see anything except a loading bar) or wait while on site for the layout to load (but be able to read textand other non-image content)?

Oh, this excludes preloading for rollovers. An example of exactly what I'm talking about is here: http://www.graphiclove.net/ (not mine)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pointless preloading most things IMO as it just adds extra traffic and uses up disk space and if the web browser is set up in such a way to check for new graphics on every page load, that user will just end up preloading the images again and again on every page.

Rollovers; fine. Everything else is not really worth it in my opinion. But even in this modern age of super fast internet connections, preloading may become unnecessary at some point.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
same as neil's, preloading for rollovers is a must, otherwise unnsessary unless your entire site is one large image. and i am sypathtic to dial up people, because i am one.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Yes, I've always thought that preloading for rollovers are necessary, but I wasn't sure about regular images and layouts and such.

Thank you both so much for the input, they're very helpful :tazz: