Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overheating ?

• Please log in to reply

clzm

clzm

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everybody. first post here.

I think my CPU might be overheating. the idle temperature of the CPU is 58ºC and the temperature reaches 73ºC at full load. the Motherboard is at 26ºC at startup and 28ºC when the CPU is at full load. I've got only the stock cooling system which works at 3800rpm. the voltage at startup is 1.71V
the processor is an athlon XP 2600+ which is working at 1.92Ghz (166Mhz with a 11.5 multiplier). the motherboard is an Asrock K7S8XE (I think). I know that athlon XP can reach something like 90ºC but 73ºC still seems a bit high and it is winter time. I'm a bit worried if the processor will overheat in the summer.

does any of you know if these temperatures are normal? and if they are to high, what options do I have to decrease the temperature??

thanks in advance.

CLZM

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi clzm! Welcome to G2G!

Those temperatures are very high. What I suggest you do is go to your local computer store and get a new heatsink and fan combo for your processor. If you know what you are doing and are comfortable doing it, then you can attach the new heatsink yourself. Make sure you use good artic silver thermal paste.

Fenor

clzm

clzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks Fenor for the fast reply.

Do you recomend any relatively cheap heatsink and fan combo? I'm a student so my budget isn't that big.
also, what temperatures are considered normal for an athlon 2600+ Barton?

thanks once again

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The max CPU temp that AMD publishes in the Tech Docs is measured directly on the CPU die itself. The thermal diode is part of the Mobo and "reads" the radiant temp from the CPU. The BIOS/software readouts use the thermal diode and these temps are typically 10-15C lower than the actual on die temp. Most AMD CPUs have a max operating temp between 75C-85C measured directly on the CPU die, which is the point where the CPU will start to self-destruct. If a CPU was running at 75C on die temp, the thermal diode and BIOS/software readout would be about 60C, which is HOT !

In my experience, CPUs runing at temps above 60C indicated by BIOS/software readouts can start to experience system hangs or crashes. Some folks have not experience problems with BIOS/software temps up to 60C. I personally would add fans or do whatever is required to keep the max temp under full load below 55C to insure 100% stability.

You mentioned the voltage at 1.71 is this the vcore or also called cpu core voltage?
If it is you should set it to 1.65, this is the stock voltage for your cpu running above that with stock cooling will increase the cpu temp and could be your problem.

Rick

clzm

clzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks again for the reply.

I actually had noticed that the core voltage was rather high, the thing is that I don't where to lower it (didn't find a option in the Bios).
Since the posts yesterday, I started to use CPUidle, at least until I can buy a better cooler. the temperature went down quite a bit. I now get around 53ºC on idle and about 65ºC at full load, but is there any inconvienient in using software cooling??

sorry about all the questions but I don't want my PC to blow up on me :tazz:

clzm

clzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
one more thing.

I've been looking at several coolers available at nearby computer stores. the Cooler Master "X-Dream III" costs only €15. will this cooler reduce the CPU temps a lot?.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
From the reviews I've read on it, the Cooler Master "X-Dream III" heatsink/fan combo only reduced the temperature of the cpu by 3 degrees, which doesn't really do much of anything. This is most likely due to the fact that the heatsink is aluminum with a small circle of copper at the base. For a good heatsink, and yes you do need a good one with the heat problems you are having, is a heatstink that is all copper. I would suggest you get the Thermaltake Volcano 12. It has an all copper heatstink and a relatively quiet fan.

Since you stated that you don't have that much money to spend on this, you can get the Cooler Master "X-Dream III", but make sure you get Artic Silver thermal paste. It is the best out there right now and I wouldn't recommend anyone using anything else.

Fenor

clzm

clzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well I think I've discovered the reason for such a hot CPU.

I thought that one of the IDE cables could be in front of the fan and not letting the air circulate properly so I opened up my PC and was shocked to discover the amount of dust in the fan and heat sink. I cleaned part of it out and the temperature has gone down to a much cooler 50ºC on full load (has been running prime 95 for 45 min)and I'm not even running CPUidle.
The dust in the fan was so much that It even started to affect the fans speed. like I said in the first post, the fan was working at about 3800 rpm. after removing the dust from it it started to work at about 4050 rpm.

I've checked the prices on the volcano 12 and the artic silver 5 and I'm going to buy them. if the temperature decreases a bit more, I might overclock the CPU a bit.

out of curiosity, what advantages and disadvatages are there in using CPUidle, rain or other CPU cooling programs.

thanks for all the help.

P.S: where do I go to lower the core voltage? it's still at 1.71V and I can't find a place in the Bios to change it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes dust causes alot of problems with computers. It's a good idea to clean out your computer at least every couple of months using compressed air you can buy at the store. Too much dust can cause your motherboard to short itself and then you are looking at a very costly repair. You are lucky you caught it in time. :tazz:

I don't believe in software coolers and therefore have never used them. As for changing the core voltages, there is usually a PC Health section in modern BIOS's that allow you to look at current voltages and on some change them. You might want to look it updating your computers BIOS. Check with the manufacturer's website for information on this. Make sure you read the instructions listed VERY CAREFULLY and follow them to the LETTER, because if you screw it up there is no going back.

Fenor

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Glad you got it working better, I agree with Fenor that the software cools ain't really needed I too never use them.

Fenor's recomendation of the thermaltake volcano is very good I have one myself on a 2500+ you will be able to overclock then. Make sure you use the included fan controller the volcano on high can be noisy so with the fan controller you can turn it down, I doubt you will ever need it on high.

My 2500+ runs at 42C when running prime this is with a room temp of 68F. I also used artic silver5

I can help you with the vcore if you tell me for sure the model number of the board, I looked on the Asrock website and they did not list K7S8XE as you listed above.

clzm

clzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I read a few reviews on the vulcano 12 and I did read somewhere that it was quite noisey on high. :)

the model is the K7S8XE, but it is hard to find on the Asrock website. here is a link to the page: http://www.asrock.co...duct_k7s8xe.htm

the Bios doesn't seem to have a PC health section, the most simular thing is a system monitor (or something like that) in which it shows the fan speeds, voltages and cpu speed but it doesn't allow me to change any of those values. :tazz:

thanks again.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea your bios might not support a change in the vcore setting and you have to go with what its set at some boards are like that, not good for overclocking BTW.

I tried to find your manual to have a look but could not find it

clzm

clzm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've just been googling a bit and discovered that my motherboard doesn't allow multiplyer changes or voltage changes. only FSB changes (currently at default (166Mhz)) :)

I guess I'm stuck at 1.71V :tazz:

CLZM

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Multiplyer changes won't work anyway becase the multiplier on the cpu is locked, you can up the fsb and overclock somewhat and seeing as your vcore is stuck on a voltage a bit high will help you out, so you will be able to get somewhat of a OC