Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad harddrive?

• Please log in to reply

KyloRilee

KyloRilee

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi all,

My parents computer has been giving a strange message, they say for about the past month. Whenever it starts up, a message comes up saying:

"Warning: Dells Disk Monitoring System has detected that drive 0 on the Primary EIDE Controller is operating outside of normal specifications."

They are afraid that their harddrive is going out, and will have to replace it. It's a fairly old computer anyway, so I suggested they may want to think about buying a brand new one. IF that is the case. However, I am not sure.

Anyone know what this is? Any advice?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Its Dell's version of what's known as SMART technology.

SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) is basically technology that allows one to predict when a drive is going to fail. Notice use of predict. A drive that claims its about to fail under this technology may go tomorrow, it may go next week, it may not die for another three years. Therefore backup all important documents/pictures etc NOW while you still can.

Depending on the age of the computer, it may not be practical or possbile to just replace the drive. Considering new computers are now so cheap it will probably work out quicker to buy a new one rather than upgrade that one, depending on what the system is used for.

Read all about SMART technology here:
http://en.wikipedia....ting_Technology

Edited by Neil Jones, 28 December 2005 - 05:26 PM.