Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with RAM

• Please log in to reply

Ryukk

Ryukk

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
So I ordered a new stick of RAM exactly idenical to my current one just a newer product, I install it right next to my other one and turn my compuiter on, it goes thru the regular start up then after the disc check the screen goes black and the light on my monitor turns from green to orange. They both work together but wont goto my desktop together, can you tell me why this is happening and how to fix it. Here is the info on my motherboard if thats needed.

MotherBoard

Both the sticks of RAM ar 256 MB 184-pin and I think PC 2100
Can a PC 3200 and PC 2100 run at the same time?

Thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me latly.

Edited by Ryukk, 28 December 2005 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Maybe you might have bought the wrong RAM. Checks its compatable with your motherboard as there is lots of different types of RAM

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yes but they will both run at the lowest speed of the two.

Try switching the modules around in diff slots. Remember to keep yourself grounded, esd- electro static discharge.

Touch the bare metal inside of the case and keep touching it while you install the ram if you dont have anti static wrist band or mat.

If it still doesnt work, take out the older memory stick and leave in the new and see if the pc boots up with it. IF not then the new stick is bad or the wrong one.

Edited by jrm20, 28 December 2005 - 03:21 PM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
yeah but say if it was DDR2 then it wouldnt work properly.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

yeah but say if it was DDR2 then it wouldnt work properly.

yeah that why I said this, its called troubleshooting.

If it still doesnt work, take out the older memory stick and leave in the new and see if the pc boots up with it. IF not then the new stick is bad or the wrong one.

Ryukk

Ryukk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm using the new stick right now, they both work, just not together. They are Both DDR and my computer only has 2 DDR slots and 2 SD slots, so I can't try new spots unless i try a sd slot.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You must have a picky motherboard then. That sux. Try to get 2 of the exact same memory sticks.

Edited by jrm20, 28 December 2005 - 07:19 PM.

Ryukk

Ryukk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
So there is nothing I can do?

Also, the pc 3200 will work better then the pc 2100?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes pc3200 is faster than the pc 2100. IT does sound like your motherboard is picky and you only have 2 slots also so all I can say is get 2 of the same memory sticks. Sell your old memory stick and get another stick of the exact memory you just bought.

Ryukk

Ryukk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I think I should sell my old one and return the new one and buy a stick of 512 maybe. would that be fine you think?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, whatever you want to do. If you ever have 2 pairs of sticks in the mobo make shure its the exact same type is all I was saying.