Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want new ram

• Please log in to reply

tommyboy

tommyboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes i checked my computer, to see the ram type. I found out that my ram is pc2100 DDR 256mb 184-pin.
I was wondering if id be able to put two 512mb pc 2700 or higher in my comp. I read a few forum topics and ppl are saying that you can but it will decrease its speed to be compatible with your comp, is that true?

Thank you.

MY pc specs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU
You Have: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU Speed
You Have: 2.4 GHz
Operating System
You Have: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
System RAM
You Have: 255.5 MB
Video Card
You Have: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (GeForce FX 5500)
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes
You have – Yes
Video RAM: Required - 64 MB
You have - 256.0 MB
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0
You have - 2.0
Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.8194
DirectX Version
You Have: 9.0c
Sound Card
You Have: MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Sound Card Driver Version
Your driver version number is: 5.1.2535.0
Free Disk Space
You Have: 40.2 GB
CD
You Have: HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520B
Motherboard
AOpen AX4B Pro-533 Motherboard

Edited by tommyboy, 28 December 2005 - 03:57 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

From what I can find out, the fastest ram that your motherboard supports is PC2100.
This doesn't mean that you can't use PC2700 ram, it just means that it will only run at the speed of PC2100 (266MHz).
It does appear that the board will support 512MB sticks so the size shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing you may have to watch, is if you plan to mix use the current stick alongside the 2 new ones. It's possible that although both old & new may work perfectly on their own, together they may be incompatible.

If you haven't bought the new memory yet, I suggest you go to Crucials website (www.crucial.com) & consult their memory advisor. If you then decide to buy the ram direct from Crucial, they guarantee that it will be 100% compatible with your motherboard