Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

6800 GS?

• Please log in to reply

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well i have been seeing jrm post it to alot of people and i was wondering really if this video cars i anyone good for gamers, syste building. Also what about overclocking wise?

Ppl comment about it syaing its better than a 6800 GT 50 dollars less cant see that since it has 12 pipelines.... thats 50 dollars more for 4 more pipelines nd the 7800GT to 7800 GTX (4 more pipelines) thats 150 more... whats up with nVIDIA nd thier bad priced goods?

Edited by Vision, 28 December 2005 - 05:06 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6800gs performs in games exactly the same as the 6800gt and I recommend it because its the same speeds but cheaper.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
hows it the same of a 6800 GT tho 12 pipelines is still good but cant be better than 16 pipelines.. is there like a way to flash the bios on it to unlock more pipelines?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They upped the core clock on it on all of the 6800gs's even the stock gs's.

Do you understand now? A stock 6800gs has a higher clock rate than a 6800gt that is how they manage to equal out the speed. The 6800gs core clock is even higher than that of a 6800 ultras.(Stock cards)

The overclocked 6800gs have even higher core clock and memory clock.

They made it to where its the same speed as the 6800gt. All they did is redesigned the card and produced it at a lower price. It is a new card I think another reason they did it was to compete with ati. If you played on a stock 6800gs and a stock 6800 gt on the same machine you wouldnt tell the difference.

Look here this is stock speeds of all the cards. Compare and you will definately see what im talking about.

http://www.techpower...800gstableb.jpg

Edited by jrm20, 28 December 2005 - 05:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah they used the seven series core technology to make it as a cheaper alternative to the GT to compete with the x800, i suppose it should have really been labeled a 7200 or 7500 if they followed the way they previously labeled cards.