Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
OK, I hope I don't embarrass myself since I am not exactly a computer tech wiz. I was wondering if I should upgrade my CPU or maybe install some extra RAM.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300, Intel P4 3.00GHz, 1GB DDR-SDRAM, and I use an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB. My FSB speed is 4 x 200MHz. I generally use my computer for the Internet, Microsoft Office, ripping-burning CD's, and for some gameplay. I usually have multiple software and hardware running at the same time, and I keep my computer running for an average of 12 hours a day. I work from home, so I am always on it. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like my system is slower. Does anyone have any suggestions, or other CPU's to buy, or more RAM???? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you do alot of applications then more memory would help. If you had another gig of memory it would be a noticable difference. You might also have some kind of spyware/adware slowing down your pc.

An intel pentium 4 is pretty good actually at multi tasking for a single core cpu, better than an amd single core would be. I dont know how much you multitask. All sofware run differently and some use more than others and some uses alot of resources. If you are really hardcore and have alot of programs up at the same time thats the problem.

If you do multitask like hardcore then you might consider buying a dual core processor of some type and build a new pc.

Edited by jrm20, 28 December 2005 - 08:58 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It seems to me that your computer should fully meet your needs with a gig of ram and that cpu.

Make sure its clean of spyware and viruses and that you don't have to many things not needed running in the backround ( down by the clock)

Maybe also visit Here and see if there are any services you don't need, just write down what you shut off in case something don't work you can turn it back on.

Rick

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I appreciate both of your help and advice. The spyware/malware possibility is always a factor in any CPU. I have NIS 2005, and I am dumping it for Panda Platinum Security 2006. I also run Adaware-plus and spybot, but I will look further into the spyware possibility.

I will use the link to see what programs I have running in the background. You download so many things, it just adds up and becomes difficult to track what is needed and not.

Thanks again. I will hold off on any upgrades, and look within my system to make improvements.