Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee on Win98

• Please log in to reply

dr.crow

dr.crow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried to install McAfee on my wife's computer, which is running windows98, and it freezes up at boot. Had to boot in safe mode and uninstall. Then it runs fine. I am wondering if I should try to figure this out or simply chose another antivirus program like avg. Also, what are the prospects of loading xp on a system shipped with win98 - haven't checked her system stats yet, but suspect it would be a problem.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I would try AVG and see if that works fine. If it doesn't, then, we can take a deeper look at the issues surrounding her freezes. Good luck. :tazz:

deodar

deodar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there Doc,interesting Q /problem? This is 98se,I just got it for Xmas and immediately installed
McAfee Nuts&Bolts Platinum98("the most valuable utility suite available"-PCmagazine Editors Choice)
Has 15 utility tools & although a little dated I updated DAT & Super DAT files no problem.This was
released specifically for 98 & works brilliantly,installed easily & runs well.The Anti Virus was a little
out of date,but it scans fast and no conflicts with ZA Pro or anything else.In 98 it was "the most
comprehensive troubleshooting utility available" & may still be for Win98.Picked up problems that
System Works missed.May be hard to source now,I scored it brand new on New Zealand E Bay
equivalent.$10!! with the user manual which will be invaluable,& is very comprehensive & thick.
I Just registered here(first Post) so excuse the rave,but hope you can get Nuts&Bolts,or sort the
later version out.It is probably (maybe)FAT32 so perhaps that is a problem,try running it on
ME or 98?Cheers & HNY! (NY eve here)

deodar

deodar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
No,sorry.I meant it may be NTFS enabled if recent version,therefore will
not handle FAT32 file system-depending what you want,if only Anti Virus
there are better available ;if utilities Norton System Works runs off the CD
beautifully on all versions.(no install needed)See Ya.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

I tried to install McAfee on my wife's computer, which is running windows98, and it freezes up at boot. Had to boot in safe mode and uninstall. Then it runs fine. I am wondering if I should try to figure this out or simply chose another antivirus program like avg. Also, what are the prospects of loading xp on a system shipped with win98 - haven't checked her system stats yet, but suspect it would be a problem.

I've seen this problem on quite a few Windows 95/98 PCs at work. What I did was to download and install the latest version off the Mcafee support site.

Is this doesn't work then try Avast or AVG.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 05 January 2006 - 06:44 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Guys

Apologies for butting in here but I was taking a rare & brief vacation to the OS forums to escape hardware for 10 minutes, when I noticed this thread.
In short.....ARGHH, McAFEE, DON'T DO IT! Apart from the fact that it sucks, it has also been known to rip the guts out of the OS upon uninstallation.
Stick to AVG or Avast, as advised. Not only are these two AVs free but they also work without hogging all the system resources & conflicting with other programs.

dr.crow

dr.crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah - I've come to the same conclusion - went with AVG - very happy.

THANKS! :tazz: