Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Spartan551475

Spartan551475

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all, umm I am in need of a new video driver, because my intel integrated one doesn't have aplha blending. This is a brand new computer and it is very fast and so far the video cards done very well, but my old computer has a radeon srry dont know what version of radeon but it was purchased at least a year ago. So what I would like to know is wether or not it would be better, to use my old video card that can do aplha blending, only when necessary(if thts possible) or just install the old one and not use the new one at all.
thanks for your time
Mike

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
While it is possible to switch between using a graphics card and on-board graphics, you would get tired of switching the monitor cable then going into the bios to turn on the on-board video before starting the OS, every time you wanted to switch.

I would disable the on-board video, install the ATI and the drivers and be done with it.

SRX660

Spartan551475

Spartan551475

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm, thanks for the advice, but uhmm is it possible to take RAM from my integrated card and send it to my old card? Because my new card has GB of RAM and my old one only has 256mb so ild b at a bit of a disadvantage with only 256 mb's again

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Umm no. Integrated is built into the motherboard and uses some of your computers memory to share the video ram. No video card has any gb of ram yet. I would try the other video card your talking about and put it into your pc. Its going to be better than the onboard video card. Hopefully the ati video card can fit in your new pc. If you still have the blending problems on the game then your going to need a new video card upgrade.