Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading Error, Press any key to reboot

• Please log in to reply

pont

pont

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S359 laptop, running on XP. I shut the laptop down earlier this evening, and when I turned it on about twenty minutes ago, a black screen came up with the words "Load Error! Press any key to reboot..." Hitting any key just repeats the text. I would desperately like to avoid rebooting, as I have a business trip out of the country in just under 6 hours. I've searched the forum and have had trouble finding any responses to this inquiry that have not included taking it to a retail outlet (clearly not possible given the timeframe) or rebooting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go,

try pressing CRl+ALT+DELETE which should get you to restart.
if that dosent do it i whould suggest on start up tappping F8 counstanly and then when you get a menu select normal mode using the arrow keys and enter key.

hope this helps

pont

pont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Mile Runner,

Thank you for your suggestions. You are correct, CTRL+ALT+DEL does restart the system, however, it does nothing to alleviate the screen that still reappears. Also, F8 does not seem to have any effect when I start up. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
but you are tapping F8 all the way through startup, correct?

pont

pont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Correct. From the moment I hit C-A-D until the screen reappears.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
try hitting ESC when you get the screen....

pont

pont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It responds to my pressing of ESC as it does to any other key, with the text reappearing. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll try anything.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
toshiba recomends reinstalling your os----but lets not due that unless a staff member recomends it.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
have u deleted any files or done anything to your computer recently, if so tell me exactly what you did

pont

pont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If that is in fact the only solution to this problem, is there anything Toshiba recommends to avoid this situation in the future - a cause?

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
i have just done some quick research on it and that is all i have found, let me go get a staff member and ask them what to do, if they request i reintalation of your os, i will walk you through that. ill be right back.

pont

pont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, this laptop is almost brand new. I purchased it about 4 days ago, and have been installing all of my programs (Photoshop, MS Office, etc..) and uninstalling all of the pre-installed junk software.

Everything has been working smoothly for the few short days that I have had it in my possesion up until this evening. And prior to the last time I was using it, I was only uploading some music from my desktop through my MP3 Player.

Hope this information helps. Thanks again.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
alright it appears to me that some of the "pre-installed junk software" may have been important, and so u may need to reintall the os--but that is realy a last resort which i am not authorized to tell you to do. i am out of suggestions and so you should wait for the help of a staff member who will be abel to help you.

pont

pont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks again for your quick replies. I'll wait for the staff-member to see what else they suggest.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does tapping F5 get you anywhere

If so

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 (F5) during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

If no change

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update