Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't update WIN2000 from microsoft

• Please log in to reply

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ever since Microsoft changed their format I can't update.

It seems to work and install all items, but in the end it says installation unsuccessful. Future attempts show the updates not installed and further attempts results in the same failed install????

ANy help? Thanks G

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Is your copy of Win2000 legal?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Is your copy of Win2000 legal?

Thanks for the quick response. I guess it is not? I bought the computer with windows ME and the dealer, I was not happy with it, so the dealer switched it over to win2000. I am not sure I have the "rights to it" even though I payed for an operating system, the windows ME (piece of junk). I was updating WIN2000 for years, so this must be the problem? IS THAT WHAT IT IS? I guess I will have to give Bill some more money, again. Thanks G

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well the only reason I can see, right now, that it's not updating right now, is that you just met microsoft's new friend :

Windows Genuine Advantage

It's a new identification key, to verify the legal copies of windows. It's beyond anything they've ever done before, and now only legal copies can use windows update.

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks that must be it. I guess I will have to buy more software. I am going to stick with win 2000 because I am not to keen on XP, what do you think. Good plan. I think??? I think I can still buy a genuine authentic product coded blessed win2k from billy?? Suggestions?? Place to buy cheap. I called Dell and they said they could up grade to XP but they only had the server version, I think win2003, which was way too much for my home computer. Thanks Happy new years. George

Using windows ME as cup coaster

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try pricewatch....

did you get a certificate of authenticity from your seller?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'd really upgrade to winXP, if you have the RAM for it...

How much ram do you have?

And-- you can buy a licence for any windows... Just dont know how much.