Before i do this i need to back up my data, and rather than burn it to CDs, i'm gonna get an external hard drive (EHD) cos i think that it will be useful to me in the future too, so i can use it to back up files regularly.
I have some questions though.
1) I will store music on it too. Is USB 2.0 port fast enough to allow me to play music from the EHD or will this not work, forcing me to store the music on the computer's own hard drive?
2) Will using EHD result in the computer really slowing down in performance?
3) What do i need to back up? Let me explain...Apart from the slow perfomance i have my computer set up as i want it - ie internet favourites etc, and when i re-install everything, i want to set the computer up as it was. Apart from the My Document folder, what else do i need to back up so that i don't need to start from scratch when reconfiguring everything? (Hope i explained what i mean properly ).
4) Any suggestions about which EHD to get? I want one that is easily portable, works with almost any computer, is driver-free and works at a good speed. Are there any good EHDs or good product review sites that you could recommend?
5) I've read about fully assembled EHDs, and also about buying the external USB case and then putting an IDE inside it...and i don't know what any of this means!? Can you help me understand, particularly because i don't even know the coorect names of components to search on Google!
6) I use a laptop too - will an EHD powered by the USB drain the laptop battery really quickly. If so, can you get EHDs with AC adaptors?
Thanks alot for your help