Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spybot - What am I doing wrong?

• Please log in to reply

Minx

Minx

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have recently installed and ran Spybot, it picked up several forms of Spyware on my pc. It has removed a bulk of them without no problems, but i'm still plagued by one called "coolwwwsearch within that lies an annoying toolbar called AZESearch which lurks in my IE as well as DSO Exploit - Spybot finds both of these, but will not remove it.

What am I doing wrong? I need to get rid of that AZESearch toolbar!! :tazz:

;)

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

What I am going to have you do is, download HijackThis. Then post the logfile here for it to be analyzed, by either myself or someone who knows how to analyze HijackThis logs.

To post a correct HijackThis log follow these directions:

1) Download HijackThis 1.99.0 from http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

2) Create a new folder on your Hard Drive named HJT. (Instructions on how to do this, will be posted later in this post)

3) Double-Click on HijackThis.exe and click the "Scan" button

4) After the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will turn into a "Save Log" button. Press it, and save the log.

5) A notepad window will come up. Copy ALL of the contents from the logfile into a new thread on the forums.

6) Wait, and soon a person who analyzes HijackThis logs will reply to your log.

===========

How to Create a new Folder on your Hard Drive

* Navagate to your C:\ drive.
* Right click inside of the C:\ drive
* A menu with the choice "New" will pop up
* Hover over "New" and select "Folder" from the sub-menu that pops up.
* Rename the Folder HijackThis
* Drag HijackThis into the new folder.

=========

If you follow these steps, you will make our job alot easier!

Thanks.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 09 February 2005 - 02:24 PM.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Also, quick note:

The DSO Exploit Spybot Search and Destroy finds, is a bug, which is why it comes back when you rescan. Just leave the entry, it will be fixed in later versions of Spybot. Hope that helps, and make sure to read the directions above and follow them carefully. :tazz:

B

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Besttechie, I actually posted the same plea on another forum as well as this one. You both answered roughly the same time, with the same piece of advice. I download Hijackthis and I located the culprit, it was rid of in seconds.

Thankyou for your help :tazz:

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
No problem, glad to help. :tazz:

B