Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling XP / Partition Trouble

• Please log in to reply

Indiana Red

Indiana Red

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
New 80G HD, New XP-pro CD
First time through I tried to partition 20G for the OS and have a 60G partition also. I misunderstod the promt for the create partition and installed the OS on the 60G partition.
Now trying to get back to the begining, when I run the setup it prompts to repair the instalation it sees
I hit ESC to continue with a fresh install
Next prompt lists the partitions
E: Partitioned NTFS 60G
Unpartitioned 16G
If I select the first and hit "D" to delete it cant because it contains "temporary Setup Files"
If I chose to partition the 16G part it lets me choose NTFS (not quick)
But now I think I have XP on there twice...
I just want to get XP on the small partition and have the rest formatted but empty C and D respectively

I thought If I could just get to a command prompt w/o windows running I chould just Format the whole thing there

Edited by Indiana Red, 29 December 2005 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Starting all over is the best thing to do. Don't even try to mess with a botched install... it's not worth it!

Since this is a new 80gig drive, did it by chance come with the manufactures CD? If not, go to the manufacture's website and download their disk utility.

Next run the utility and format/partition the disk. Personally, I would write zeros (low-level format) to the drive, but that does take longer, then I would format/partition the drive... but again, that's just me! :tazz:

After you get the drive set up the way you want it, install XP.