Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP on two drives - help!

• Please log in to reply

Charlie Hodge

Charlie Hodge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
One of my friends has windows xp on two of their hard drives. On their smallest drive (3gb) is their main operating system. Every time they log on they get a message reporting that the memory on this drive is critically low. On their other two drives they have around 15 and 16gbs. On one of the other drives ther is another copy of xp but is appears to have errors so when you get the option to start with it, the pc tries to install it again.

:thumbsup: :tazz: :cheers: ;)

I need remove xp from the small drive and then probably re-install it onto one of the other drives.

Does anyone know of any problems that this might cause and also do you know the best way to do this.

On a slightly seperate issue, is there a way to pick up the registration key from windows as we can't find the book.

Cheers

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hello Charlie Hodge, welcome to Geeks To Go,
A fresh install of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 takes up about 2.0GB of harddrive space. I would recommend that you buy a bigger harddrive. Here is a link to a good size harddrive with a nice pricetag.

Now with the problem with have two Windows XP installilations, is that some ran the Windows XP setup, after already have the first install complete. They didnt finish the installilation of the second install, just copied the files to the harddrive.

Now I would buy the harddrive that I have the link for, making that the primary harddrive and the next biggest one the slave drive. To fix this, I would just do a fresh install of Windows.

To get the registration key, you can look for it in the registry, or you can download this program, run it and then wirte down the key. If you dont know what you are doing in the registry then download the program. Hope that this helps.