Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Both dvd-rom drive and cd-rw drive dissapeared

• Please log in to reply

vaseand

vaseand

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Both of my cd drives have dissapeared from my computer and every other place they would be recognised. They both still open and close and they appear in device manager with yellow exclamtion marks next to both. Ive tried updating the drivers, uninstalling and re-installing the drive and none has worked. What can i do?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You could try this fix from M$: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found

vaseand

vaseand

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks alot the regedit thing worked.

SharonMurray

SharonMurray

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have exactly the same problem, but I use Windows 2000. Will this fix work for W2k as well? Please help.
Sharon

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
well now... the document says WXP pro and WXP home. Don't know why you couldn't try the fix to see if it works. Just be sure to back up the registry first! Follow all those precautions detailed by M$

Edited by austin_o, 30 December 2005 - 10:57 AM.

SharonMurray

SharonMurray

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks - that seems to have worked! You guys are amazing! I only followed method 1 - looking at the device manager everything seems perfect - no exclamation marks - so there doesn't seem to be any need to follow method 2. I can see the both drives in My Computer and they both play audio CDs.

Now I have to try and complete the work I was doing when I lost these drives in the first place - upgrading the Plextor driver and installing RecordNow software. Wish me luck.

Thanks for your help,
Sharon

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Glad it worked, and good luck! :tazz: