Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios Problem after hibernation

• Please log in to reply

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Any help would be appreciated:

After resuming windows from hibernation a blue screen of death appears that says that my bios is not fully ASCI (sp?) compliant and a bunch of other jibberish (is there anyway to actually keep the blue screen of death up for more than 5 seconds so you can actually READ what it is they are trying to tell you?) Anyways, from there it gives me the option to continue with restart (wherein it just goes back to the BSOD) or it asks to "delete resotration data and proceed to boot menu" I havent chosen THAT option yet as I really have no idea what that means, or what it will do.

I should include that I just recently (yesterday) installed a 100mb Fujitsu internal HD through the IBM 2nd HDD bay adaptor. I received this message yesterday, but eventually was able to restart. Today, I have not been so fortunate. I had never seen this particular BSOD before installing the Fujitsu 100gig drive.

any ideas?

Should I just light the computer on fire, throw it out the window and call it a day?

please help. :tazz:

Edited by godwinaustin, 30 December 2005 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Load in safe mode by tapping the f8 key as the memory counts up

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, ADVANCED, go to STARTUP settings and unclick AUTOMATICALLY RESTART ON SYSTEM ERROR

That will leave the blue screen up.

I would
pull the new drive

go to your system manufacturer and download a bios update, flash the bios, reinstall the second drive

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the reply - any idea what the problem could be? As far as flashing the BIOS - I have never done anything like that before, is it pretty straight forward?

when I uinstall the 100gb, can I keep the data that I transferred onto the new drive (itunes music)? Do I have to remformat the drive again once I install it again?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is pretty straight forward....you should not have to format the drive

I believe what is happening is that your second drive is just not waking up. A bios update should address that

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, thanks so much gerry - how do I get into safe mode? The typical boot up screen does not appear now, and I dont think I have the option to start in Safe- what happens if I choose "delete restoration data and proceed to boot menu"?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you will delete the "memory snapshot"...meaning, let's say you were working on a spreadhseet when your PC went into hibernation, but you did not save it.

Windows SAVE the system state, including the work in progress.

If you delete the memory snapshot, you will boot normally

Sounds like you need to delete, and boot normally, then reboot and hit f8 to get back into safe mode

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Gerry, thanks again..I got into windows and here is what the comp said happened:

Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

go to SYSTEM in the left pane

then in the right pane look for a big red X at the time the error first occured.

It may provide more info

I am inclined to think that your new drive is having an issue with the default windows driver, but that's a guess.

Edited by gerryf, 30 December 2005 - 05:04 PM.

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Gerry, uninstall/reinstall the drive and flashed the BIOS and everything seems to be working fine now....keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for your help. :tazz: :)