Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Respresenting iTunes Community!

• Please log in to reply

Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I think I speak for a large number of angered iPod owners when I say that iTunes has issues. Namely in the following area:
Ipods are recognized by Windows Explorer, but not by iTunes

In my case, i get no message saying what is wrong, my iPod simply can't mount. Moreover, i've followd all the supprot pages and help topics, but the problem remains. To isolate the problem, it is not iPod related, as my iPod works with other computers, and everyone else's iPods do nto work on mine. I have the latest version of iTunes and iPod updater. The description of the problem is as follows:
I plug my iPod into my high-power USB port, and a do no disconnect message appears. However, after countless hours, the iPod does not appear in iTunes. I can see it in my computer, but despite numerous attempts to sync the iPod, all have failed. This problem occurred randomly, as my Itunes had been wokring a year before. I own an iPod video 30gb. I heard in the Itunes discussions forums on the Apple website of a fix mentioned on this webstie: swandog46.geekstogo.comlaproposfix.exe

I came here expecting someone to fix the problem which Apple could not. Please I'm desperate, as are many, many others with iPods.

Could someone find a fix for my problem, or at least clear up what swandog46.geekstogo.comlaproposfix.exe means and how i can use it?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know this wont fix itunes, but you can put a new linux based OS onto an ipod that lets you drop files straight into it no bother, even play videos on all models of ipod.

Ipods really suck quite badly though, they kinda scream fashion victim, they look alot better than they are, mind you with most hard drive players its not the player that is bad its the software that comes with it, look at the sony players its the best piece of hardware on the market but it gets bad press because of its software.

Sorry cant help you on the specific problem but there has been alot of good press on the linux OS for ipods(basically a dual boot, you hold the rewind when turning it on)

Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Thx for the help! Yeah iPods are extremely overrated. I myself traded in an earlier mp3 player from an unknown brand ( i forgot the name), and I have to admit, it played far better than the iPod, lacking only in storage capacity. But I do have a few questions:

Is linux OS for Mac only, because I have windows XP

If so, I'd highly appreciate it if you told me which site, as I am highly computerologically retarded.

THX

Also, is swandog46 a member of these frums?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page that should be it, if you are in the uk the christmas edition of PC format had a tutorial on how to do it, you dont need linux on your PC its for your ipod. It can be a bit risky mucking around with the settings like that though, you might want to see if you know someone with a bit of computer savvy can do it for you.

i dont know about swandog46, youll have to search for him.

Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:) Thx a lot man i'll tell the apple discussion forums of this.

You've been a greater help in one day than anywhere else was in 4 weeks. :tazz:

But, there is yet another problem. When I go to dl the windows installer ofr Linux, it says that ipod minis and 4th generation ipods are not compatible with it. Would my iPod Video (5th g) be affected, and what should I do about it?

Edited by Mike Anderson, 31 December 2005 - 03:55 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
hmm see im not to sure of that, you would have to ask the development team. Its all open source so development and trials are pretty quick. I would check for latest versions, but if they have a forum someones probably asked the question and you can always email them.

Im not familiar with itunes or ipods as i dont own one, i just know of ipodlinux because i read alot of tech news and mags etc. you would have to do a bit of research and reading. There are plenty of people with ipodlinux and im sure someone can help you with the specifics.